Higher BP in morning?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

Apologies if this question has been asked before. I check my BP at home - morning and late at night. I find that BP readings are higher in the morning, especially not long after rising, and lower at night.

Do others have the same experience, and is there a know reason for this?

Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Mornings are normally high. Early evening is another peak time. It's that way with most people.

I never take mine first thing in the morning now and wait an hour.

Even when I've had a 24 hour BP monitor they always say it is the average that counts.

• Posted

Yes, I have that too, it seems a common pattern.

Though I think I asked my doctor about it once, and just got a shrug.

Have never heard a "why".

• Posted

You get a shrug, I get a raised eyebrow.

Rises to face the day. A doctor I had put a BP monitor on a fit nurse and she was surprised to see how much her BR varied during the day.

From the Mayo clinic. Blood pressure has a daily pattern. Blood pressure is normally lower at night while you're sleeping. Your blood pressure starts to rise a few hours before you wake up. Your blood pressure continues to rise during the day, usually peaking in the middle of the afternoon. Then in the late afternoon and evening, your blood pressure begins dropping again.

• Posted

Yah. That's why I can't even begin to figure how most doctors today still think that checking your BP once every year, in their office, is sufficient to diagnose anything.

• Posted

Especially if like me you have White Coat Hypertension. So now my doctor accepts my home readings. Also with AF my irregular heart rate can confuse the monitor.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, and reference to the report from the Mayo clinic. Very helpful.

• Posted

Thank you to everyone for sharing their experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.