Highly myopic eyes and cataracts

Posted , 10 users are following.

What kind of IOL s did people with high myopia { -8 though -13} get with your cataract surgery and how do you like the outcome? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My surgeon mentioned, in passing (since I wasn't interested in multifocals he didn't go into detail), that multifocals can have consequences down the road in some patients as far as later eye disease. This article addresses that: https://www.aao.org/eye-health/ask-ophthalmologist-q/should-i-get-multifocal-iols-if-i-have-amd-risk

• So the question becomes, "Maybe I am a candidate now but what will happen if I get significant dry eye or macular changes in the future? Will having a multifocal lens cause me to have worse symptoms in the future than if I had a monofocal?" These questions have not been answered. *
  • Edited

Hi Rosanna:)

I chose a combo of micro-monovision with a monofocal IOL set for best distance in my dominant eye, and a Symphony EDOF IOL set for slightly less distance in my non-dominant eye. This gave me the best of both worlds, as the EDOF night vision effects were minimized by the dominant monofocal eye "taking over". I am extremely happy with my resulting vision.

Micro-monovision means that the difference between eyes is less than 1 diopter. It makes it very easy for most people to adapt. In my case, we set them for about a half diopter difference. I chose to wait several months between surgeries and am grateful that my surgeon could then calculate the best IOL power for me after the first (monofocal) eye had "settled" into its near final healed visual acuity.

In the end, I was blessed with exceptional near vision in the monofocal IOL eye, as well as near perfect distance without glasses (-0.25D). The Symfony eye has slightly less perfect distance vision (-0.75D), but still good enough that I almost never wear glasses for anything.

There is speculation that people with high myopia may end up with better than average near vision even when the monofocal IOL is set for best distance vision. Something about the physical dimensions of the eye giving a greater depth of field somehow. But I don't know of any studies on that subject. I'm just extremely grateful that I can enjoy such perfect near vision with both eyes.:)

Best wishes on your research and wishing you best possible results!

• Posted

I had monofocal set for intermediate in right eye and left eye with cataract non-treated yet. To me, the clear image seen by right eye can not suppress the artifacts caused by cataract at all. That's why I'm seriously considering monovision by two monofocals instead of using an EDOF in left eye.

Glad that you are happy with your result.

• Posted

Hi Chen:)

3 things to consider:

1. Very important to know which is your dominant eye if you mix IOL types and/or do mini or microvision. Setting the dominant eye for best distance with monofocal IOL makes it easier for brain to adapt to EDOF artifacts in the non-dominant eye..
      2. It takes time for neuroadaptation, varies significantly from one patient to the next.
      3. I wouldn't expect the brain to be able to block out the cataract symptoms in the untreated eye. It might be able to place emphasis on the treated eye, and probably does even if you don't realize it. But the glare/blur from the cataract is significantly more intense and disordered than any EDOF artifacts.

Once you take all that into consideration, follow your instincts on which path will work best for you. Wishing you the best possible outcome!

• Edited

Chen - in my own case, i had 5 weeks between surgeries.

In those 5 weeks my brain never adapted, the cataracts eye made a mess of it all.

But when I had the second eye done, I had full blended vision day after surgery, with two different premium lenses.

After about two month the visual side effects started to reduce very noticeable. Now I am 5 month in, visual side effects are there, but minor, sometimes i don´t even think about it when I am driving in the dark any longer.

I think it will be a different matter when you have your second eye done, than it is now with the cataracts, I don´t think it is comparable.

I have edof in my dominant eye and trifocal in the other eye. As an example the edof makes starburst around bright light sources in the dark, the trifocal does not make the same starburst.

If I close the trifocal eye, the starburst are still there (but smaller than it have been), but when I look with both eyes, the starburst are not there, there is some sort of light mist around the light instead, that I easily can see through.

The light mist is still getting more and more fainted, on some streetlights, where I had starburst before, there are no longer any side effects at all. It feels like it is still getting better and better, so I expect it to continue for some month ahead.

I know my result is only one of many different outcomes, but personally I am happy with it, even that I fully understand why other choose monovision with monofocals.

• Posted

Now my dominant eye is right as left eye has severe cataract. I don't remember I had dominant eye screened back in China. Maybe right eye as I'm right handed? But unfortunately, my right eye already has set to intermediate vision for cataract correction.

So if I have Symfony in left eye, my right eye may not be able to help suppress the effects as it doesn't have a clear distance vision.

My biggest concern to mini-monovision is the depth perception. I play badminton a lot, I now often miss the shuttle by poor perception from only one functional eye. I think the overlapped vision range from both eyes with Symfony+monofocal may have a decent stereoscopic.

My previous PRK surgery determines I'm not a good candidate to tri-focal. So my choices are limited to monofocal and EDOF.

After reviewing many posts on this forum, I realized how important having a good surgeon is. I would have a different decision to my right eye if I had explored this site 5 years ago.

• Posted

Chen - I would not worry about dominant and not dominant eye.

Before my surgeries my left eye was dominant, and had an edof lens implanted.

Left eye have always been the best eye, and have been dominant eye for 45 years.

My right eye was non dominant and had a trifocal implanted.

If I do the dominant eye test now 5 month after surgeries, right eye with the trifocal have become dominant eye. It took a couple of weeks to get used to, but now I don´t think about it.

I am sure you will be fine with a lens for distance in your other eye, with either lens you choose, brain will adapt.

But be careful what you wish, maybe you won´t have any excuse for missing the shuttle after surgery 😃

• Posted

Chen - by the way - if you have good vision in your monofocal iol eye, but are unhappy about your options, you do have the option to have a trifocal ICL implanted in your monofocal eye.

ICL´s are widely used here in Denmark for correcting iols that are off target, but also to correct earlier monofocal iol implants, either correcting for refraction and astigmatism, but the ICL can also be trifocal, and give you vision all distances at the same time.

• Posted

Thanks Viking. Your post is always encouraging.

Probably, I should consider to keep the ability to blame to the poor depth perception LOL

• Posted

Update - had my surgery 3 days ago on the left eye ( the worse one) ,got Alcon toric monofocal put in set for near. It is still adjusting but distance vision is definitely better than I had wearing -12 toric contact lens ! And near is very clear ,even at intermediate range. I don't know exact measurements but the goal was to have me slightly nearsided ,like -3 . I will get exact numbers at my next appointment

• Posted

That's great, Rosanna! Happy for you. Of course, 3 days is very soon after surgery. Your vison will likely improve even more over time.Best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.