Hiking in high altitude with pneumothorax

Posted , 3 users are following.

In January 2017 I had a spontanious pneumothorax.  On July 4th 2018 I will be going to Colorado and was planning on doing some hiking.  With this coming up I have a few questions in mind:  

At what elevations would I be at an increased risk of having another pneumothorax?

I plan on hiking three days with each days hike reaching a higher elevation than the last.  The highest elevation being the 3rd day of hiking I plan on reaching is 10,900 feet above sea level.   I will be sleeping in Lyons Colorado which is above 5,000 feet.  The hikes will begin around 9,000 feet and ascend anywhere from 600 to 2,000 feet.  A few months ago I went to Colorado and completed a hike that ascended 1,500 feet and reached an altitude of 7,000 feet and had no problem.  I am from Chicago that has an elevation of 950 feet.

Are there any additional precausions I should take? Maybe I should bring oxygen in case I need it?

Should I try and learn how to "Needle a Tension pneumothorax" just in case something happens while being hours away from help?

What should I do if I am above 10,000 feet and have a pneumothorax with about a 3-5 hour hike back to parking?

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had a chest tube in for 6 days and after the 6 days they determined that I would not need the VATs surgery.  They said if I have another one they would want to have the surgery.
  • Posted

First hell no do not learn how to and do not 3 hr hike if it collapsed. Emergency rescue.

Taking the lack of oxygen into account basically like all height acclimatise is key for you this will be painful and slow. I do not recommend hiking intact your banned from it until 2 years after surgery. Same as flying and driving. If no surgical intervention 1 year ban. It's all to do with how much pain you can take and trust me it's gonna hurt alot. I dive I climb I swim I walk run n hike to fish. I have a pain threshold though that I had 4 heart attacks and never knew lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.