Hindfoot Triple Fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been told I need this on my right ankle. I'm doing some research on it, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there about the patient experience of it.

Anyone here had it and can share their experiences?

?Anyone able to share experiences of being non-weight bearing for six weeks - I live on my own, and despite the help from friends, I just can't see how on earth I can manage that.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a tendon replaced with double fusion done Sept 13th,, it is alot to deal with and I to am alone, you will need a trike as it was great maneurving within my apt. I was non weight bearing for 8 weeks. It is possible to do alone, just do what your Dr. says it is more important than we think. Depression will be the worst as it is quite confining and I have always worked so this is my first experience of being debilitated and ran out of things to keep me busy. At 8 weeks still had hard cast but with flat bottom and a flip flop attached so I could put down for balancing. Then at 10 I am now in a boot, which taking the first shower without a plastic bag was really nice. I will be in a arizona brace in a couple weeks which fits inside my shoe and then will start physical therapy. The worst part of this whole procedure is all the nerve ending pain that you will have as they all have to heal and reconnect. But it gets better as the weeks go by. Take pain meds as ordered and keep your foot up as much as possible, infact i slept in a recliner for 6 weeks as it was easier to get out of than bed. So I know it sounds terrible but we are here to help you thru the worst as we have all been there. Keep us updated or you have any questions
    • Posted

Thanks Cheryl, that's helpful. Unfortunately I don't have an apartment - it's a house with stairs and steps up to both front and back door - and no room for ramps. I have looked at the scooters and also the crutches, and will get in - these would defintely help be get around the house. It's all the steps that I am most worried about.

?The inability to drive etc doesn't worry me - this, unfortunately, isn't my first spin around the block, so to speak. I am currently on a hip replacement (four weeks next Tuesday - so can't drive for another two weeks); and the ankle in question broke in May, so I had six week unable to drive in the summer. I have also just bought a mobility scooter - I had been borrowing a friends to walk my dog, and decided that if I am looking forward to possibly another year of these limitations I needed my own. The waiting lists in the UK appear to be scary - I'm contacting various places, but at present I am looking at 9 months!

?Given the number of things I had "to keep me busy" after the hip replacement, which I didn't need because it went really easily, I have enough for another surgery and possibly a third one - although I'm not looking for yet another! Like you, I work, and so the idea of being confined and not busy was actually impossible to conceive.

• Posted

Yup, mine was fused in 1984...12 weeks non weight bearing.

BUT now you have two choices I did not have, both are hands free.

Knee scooter or iWalk2

either will make it a piece of cake.

Yes I drove, with my left foot.

• Posted

Hi again nick

?I've had a look at those and given my house I think I may have to look at a combination approach. Although I probably need to find out if I can test the iWalk - reading up on the website it is hard to work out how suitable it would be for me as it says it may not suit older people (I'm 59); and you need good stability to start off with (don't know about that - I used to have, but with the ankle and the back and the hip over the last year, I simply don't know that I have any more).

?I have a manual car - I need both feet to drive. So that will be out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.