Hints and tips needed for post transplant

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I have my transplant at The end of april( sister is being my donor)

Can anyone offer any advice

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, my husband has just donated to my son & yesterday was there first day home from hospital (4 days after op). They are both doing well & Michael (recipient) has similar experience to what others have said here. I’d just like to add as there carer (wife & Mum) that take sick bowel & water for car journeys as our long drive home resulted in sickness & also husband (donor) had a rough time with constipation so be sure to mention this if your sister has any issue pre & post op so they can give her something to help without a delay (they will do this for you anyway but were a bit late helping husband as donor).

I wish you both well in your times ahead x 

• Posted

Hey Polly. Try Laxido for the constipation. Takes a couple of hours to work (Orange powder mixed into water). It only took 1 of them to get my movements going for several days!!!
    • Posted

Hi Polly

Special award to you for being the carer. I think all family carers are worth their weight in gold.

I hope you don't mind me asking how old is Michael?

And how is Michael fairing now? Has Michael mentioned that he is feeling much better or still too early.

I do wish you all the very best

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for your nice comments. It's hard work looking after two but worth it to see the results in Michael.  He's 23 & already feeling the benefits of the new kidney.  No longer feels cold all the time, able to start eating the foods that have been banned, says he feels more "with it/alert".  He's suffering a bit with headaches, feeling sick & bad/weird dreams at night but Dr assures us this is early days (1 week since op today) and due to the high levels of drugs he's currently on that will taper down as things settle. Dr is pleased with the kidney behaviour so far.

Good luck to you

• Posted

Yes I imagine the drugs causing weird dreams. Its amazing Michael feels better already. With the bigger food selection now available he must be gaining strength.

I hope your husband is doing well. They say the donor is at little risk but we do worry about that.

Your family must be blessed.

• Posted

Hi Polly, just wondering how your Husband and Michael are doing? I do hope all is well. I know there’s a lot of medication to manage and remember. Have you heard of an app called Medisafe? It’s soooo helpful. You basically put in your list of meds and the time to take each of them and it alarms with a reminder to take them. It’s split into 4 times of the day, morning, lunch, evening and night time. Apart from telling you when to take what, the well handy feature is you tell it how much stock you have and it will remind you to refill your prescription when a MED gets to a certain level remaining. (e.g. I take 8mg of tacrolimus a day so I set the refill reminder to 56 pills (a weeks worth left)). Couldn’t oversell this app enough!
    • Posted

Hi, they're both doing good thanks.  Both gaining a bit more strength each day. Husband, Roger, came and helped with the food shop today - not lifting bags or shopping but more using the trolley as a walker & chucking in lots of stuff he fancies as treats! Michael's levels are all going the right way.  They're still trying to get his Tacrolimus levels up a bit more, before they can reduce the MMF dose to half what he is on. We've been told the MMF would be causing the sickness he currently feels (although not actually throwing up). Today he's been told he no longer needs to record what he drinks & pee's. He's also on prednisolone still but once Tac levels a little higher they can reduce the pred which is making him hungry all the time (which isn't an issue as he's a bit underweight).  Some days he's fine and happy, other days a little low and depressed, but I know pred does this as he's previously been on it.  That app sounds good and we will definitely look into it, though at the moment been using alarms on his mobile, which is interesting at clinic days when they all go off around the same time in the waiting room!  Hope all is good with you?

• Posted

That’s great news (apart from the sickness). So happy they’re doing well. Yes, all fine here. Clinic Wednesday so hopefully the figures are still good!

Take care and all the best.

• Posted

Hey Bryan! my brother is a match! You and your sister have been given a date quickly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.