Hip and groin pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

after six months I am still in constant pain which originally. Was due to hip bursitis. The x Ray shows a degeneration of the hip bone and pain tablets co codomol 8/500 four iMessage per day with naproxine twice per day is not really relieving. The pain much. And now doctor says a total hip replacement is the next best thing. But there is a long waiting list so I must limp along until the time comes.i already have had the right hip replaced, in 2007 and this was a great success except I keep dislocating eleven times so far, nearly once a year. sinc 2007. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you are having quite a bad time. Any idea how long you have to wait for the total hip replacement? Don't you find it distressing that you have had so many dislocations with the THR you already had? Do your doctors have any explanations for this? If you want support for your upcoming THR and problems with the past one, you could start a thread on the Hip Replacement forum under Operations and surgical procedures. 

I had a THR last summer and am having a complication and will need a surgery at some point to repair tendons/muscles torn/cut during the THR that have never healed. I am getting lots of help and support on the Hip Replacement forum, and you could, too!

• Posted

Have no idea how long I have to wait for the next hip replacement.
    • Posted

Are you seeing an orthopedist? I would urge you to do whatever you have to do in your healthcare system to get to see the proper physicians who can help give you a proper diagnosis and treatment. Are you asking about when the THR will be? Are they aware of your disability and pain? See where you are on the list, and make a big noise about the help you need to cope until you can have it. 

I don't understand why people who are suffering so much must wait so long. With my insurance here in the U.S., if you need a THR, the doctor talks with the insurance company and demonstrates why it is necessary, and then you schedule the surgery. Usually it is done within a month or two. No long waits at all. Perhaps if you are a loud, squeaky wheel, you can get taken care of sooner. It can't hurt to try! Best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you Annie for your comments, here in Uk waiting lists  vary from place to plasce.  When I lived in Cornwall I went on the list and immediately was taken in for the hip op in 2007, I had a good recovery, despite dislocating twice in 2008 but it did not stop me going to Tanzania for 3months to visit my cousin Dr Mary Borda, who was running a hospital with the MMM (Medical Missionaries of Mary) and i dislocated again trying to cut my toe nails by lifting the operated leg twisted in position to cut, very stupid of me and I had to be flown to Dr Borda's hospital but recovered well enough to help my cousin with statistics for the end of year in a sedentary post.

Since, then I dislocated trying to pick something up from a standing position; also standing on uneven ground bending slightly at an angle to turn on a radio, then trying to put on my boots with that same action of bending toes inwards (a no no) and pulling the boot on, I think all the times involved putting socks or boots on and needless to say, I now do not wear socks and only wear footwear which I can slip on.  I met a nun in Tanzania who said she dislocated, before she got out of hospital after her THR and it has made her so wary of how she bends etc that she wished she had kept her old hip with the pain, rather than stepping on eggshells in her busy life out in Africa.

I have just come out of hospital after a hysterectomy and I guess all the anaesthtics and medication has nummed the hip pain and seem to be walking without pain, so I shall have to wait until all the meds have worn off and see how my hip pain is then.   Do you know , Does exercising the arthiritic bones irritate and cause more inflammation, because since the hysterectomy and all the bed rest, I feel no pain?  Thanks for your comments.

• Posted

Exercising when you have osteoarthritis just makes the pain worse and hastens the deterioration. I'd be willing to bet that it is your resting and pain meds that have given you the relief. As you said, you'll have to wait until you are done taking the meds and have resumed your normal activities.

I will be more careful after hearing about your many dislocations. Thanks for sharing that info! Hope you recover well after your recent surgery!

• Posted

I was supposed to have ny first hip replacenent yesterday but was cancelled.

How has the hip dislocated that many times. That is a very scary thought

• Posted

Thank you Sarah for comments, here in Uk waiting lists  vary from place to place.  When I lived in Cornwall I went on the list and immediately was taken in for the hip op in 2007, I had a good recovery, despite dislocating twice in 2008 but it did not stop me going to Tanzania for 3months to visit my cousin Dr Mary Borda, who was running a hospital with the MMM (Medical Missionaries of Mary) and i dislocated again trying to cut my toe nails by lifting the operated leg twisted in position to cut, very stupid of me and I had to be flown to Dr Borda's hospital but recovered well enough to help my cousin with statistics for the end of year in a sedentary post.

Since, then I dislocated trying to pick something up from a standing position; also standing on uneven ground bending slightly at an angle to turn on a radio, then trying to put on my boots with that same action of bending toes inwards (a no no) and pulling the boot on, I think all the times involved putting socks or boots on and needless to say, I now do not wear socks and only wear footwear which I can slip on.  I met a nun in Tanzania who said she dislocated, before she got out of hospital after her THR and it has made her so wary of how she bends etc that she wished she had kept her old hip with the pain, rather than stepping on eggshells in her busy life out in Africa.

I have just come out of hospital after a hysterectomy and I guess all the anaesthtics and medication has nummed the hip pain and seem to be walking without pain, so I shall have to wait until all the meds have worn off and see how my hip pain is then.   Do you know , Does exercising the arthiritic bones irritate and cause more inflammation, because since the hysterectomy and all the bed rest, I feel no pain?  Thanks for your comments.

• Posted

Hi. Yeah im in the UK to.

Abd wow that is an incredibly scary thought to think even after my op i have to be super careful doing things i cant even do now. Is this common?

• Posted

I do think to dislocate 11 times is extra ordinary, nevertheless the surgeons here in High Wycombe say the transplanted titanium hip is perfectly alright and though it was done in Plymouth, they have no reason to criticize the original surgeon, but give no further advice, except BE CAREFUL HOW U BEND AND TWIST YOUR HIP.   As there is no pain involved in this perfectly normal movement ordinarily  it is a NO NO with artificial hip and though instructions after the op is to avoid these movements for upto 6weeks after op, but in my case. caution is PARAMOUNT WITH THR. sorry to say.
    • Posted

Ahhh well with my luck and the difficulty my surgeon has with my surgery whenever that is i will admit dislocation is probably something i should be aware of
    • Posted

Hi carmelina52473,

Feel sorry you have to get dislocate 11 times after the operation.  I would like to know whether another surgery is needed to locate the hip back to its original position. Or just a simple twist without any operation?

Also, I would like to know how old you are.  If you are not comfortable of telling me your exact age, you may mentioned in the age group ragne for every 20 years old.  (ie. 20 - 40 years old, 40 -60 years old.....)

My mum currently is 85 years old, and I'm not sure whether hip replacement is suitable for her to make her walk again.  Do not know how long it need to take her to walk after the op.  Any blood clot issue after the operation.

Hope to hear from you soon

• Posted

Hi I'm having the same problem hip and groom pain when sitting for long period of time and when walking long distances had this for all most a year been to physio he said he thinks it's a hip impingement. See. The hip doctor think its to do with muscles had an MRI scan done a few weeks ago still waiting for results. Just hoping its shows something as its getting me down I'm only 30 and have 3 young children who want to play on the floor all the time witch I'm finding difficult to do if anyone has any idea what it could be please let me know as this pain has had me in tears thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.