Hip and groin pain after anterior spinal fusion surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had spinal surgery in June 2017...everything that could go wrong did and I ended up spending a month in the hospital and a year off work...around 3 weeks post op, I started having excruciating pain in my right groin..the doctor said it was due to the anterior approach and that the nerves needed to heal..this has gone on ever since.. I even had an ablation done in hopes this would help but a year later I am in horrific pain and can’t get any answers...has anyone else experienced this????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What level was the fusion done? How many assistants were crowded around the table possibly leaning on you to see the surgery? The nerves to your groin curve around over the crest of your hip and if someone spent the surgery leaning on your hip that could have caused the nerve injury. Similarly during your everything going wrong period the last thing they are worried about when a patient is crumbling is positioning and that right hip could have been in the wrong position for too long. It does sound like you had the right idea with the ablation, did you get any relief at all after that?
    • Posted

It was the L4, L5 and S1...the ablation gave me very minimal relief but now, 3 months after, I’m back in excruciating pain. 
  • Posted

Wow I'm so sorry. I'm 5 weeks in the only thing so far is, right above my left hip bone I still have no feeling, my surgeon said that it may take months for it to feel normal again and could be because of how I was set up before surgery laying on the nerves. I hope you get relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.