Hip and Low Back Pain for 3 Months, what should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

In mid-January 2020, I was walking on a treadmill at an incline. Not very fast, not very steep, was just trying to get my steps in. I have been regularly active (weightlifting and cardio) for about three years, so this was not out of the ordinary for me, I consider myself in pretty good shape. Later that same day, I noticed I had unusual pain all throughout my left leg. I figured I just walked on it funny and it would go away with time, so I just rested and stretched. Within a week it got worse, and the pain was especially bad in my left low back, left glute, left hip flexor, and left IT band (and sometimes the left knee if I was on my feet a lot during the day). I was even limping for a couple days and could not find a way to make the pain stop (sitting, standing, lying down, nothing). I went to see a sports medicine orthopaedic doctor (specialized in the hip), and she diagnosed me with a strained muscle in the glute (no imaging or testing done, she diagnosed off of the symptoms I described). She told me to stretch and rest. I tried that but still had a lot of pain. So I went online to do some research about my pain, and found exercises and stretches for "Piriformis Syndrome" and within a few weeks my pain was much better, but still there.

About 3-4 weeks ago it started getting pretty bad again, to the point that it is keeping me awake at night. I get the most severe pain in my left low back (SI joint maybe? I'm not sure) and left hip flexor (and sometimes the upper left quad closest to the hip flexor/groin) almost constantly, no matter what I do. It gets especially bad when doing any type of squatting motion (ie to pick something up off the floor), bending over motion (ie to get something out of the fridge or pantry), and sometimes sitting irritates it as well. I have rested my legs for these ~3 weeks (no working out, only going on gentle walks around my neighborhood 2-3 times a week) and it is not getting any better. I've googled stretches and exercises and tried them out, they give temporary relief but it always comes back (examples: butterfly stretch, static lunges, glute bridges, cobra push ups, hamstring stretches, etc). I have tried massaging the hip flexor, and it is tender to the touch, and it gives temporary relief as well, but the pain comes back very quickly once I stop.

The pain is not debilitating, I can still function from day to day, but being unable to workout is bothersome and the pain coming and going from day to day is getting stressful and burdensome. Some days I feel like it's getting better then the next day it's back, even if I did nothing strenuous or abnormal the day before.

I do not know what else to do. Due to the global pandemic right now, it is very difficult to get into the doctor for non-emergencies, so that isn't really an option for me at the moment. I am hoping to go to the doctor again once things in my city settle down. Any advice is very appreciated. Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Basic remedies applied at home can be effective for treating mild or acute pain from muscle strain, as well as reducing the effects of chronic, severe pain. Many episodes of back pain can be improved by briefly avoiding strenuous activity. It is not advised to rest for more than a few days, as too much inactivity can make healing more difficult. Heat from a warm bath, hot water bottle, electric heating pad, or chemical or adhesive heat wraps can relax tense muscles and improve blood flow. Increased blood flow brings nutrients and oxygen that muscles need to heal and stay healthy.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.