Hip and Pelvic Fracture

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I haven't started a post of my own for quite some time but I do post on others.

Firstly 13 months ago I had a fall, fractured hip and pelvis, didn't have op for a variety of reasons which can be found on my previous post which is here somewhere.

The pelvis had healed completely thank goodness but the hip has not, had MRI last month and this is the verbal report, I'm not sure anyone on here will understand it, worth a long shot though.

It says

Thare is an old ununited fracture of left neck of femur with resorption of the left femoral neck with mild osseous.

Normal marrow signal is noted in the left femoral head, no MR evidence of AVN of the femoral head.

Articular cartilage of left hip joint I'd relatively preserved

No significant joint effusion noted.

No iliopsis subglutial or tronchanteric bursitis noted

Normal appearance of muscle noted compared to muscle atrophy in January

What I'm trying to work out is would my pain when walking with added weight bearing be caused by hip still being unhealed.

I am now on extremely high daily dose of vitamin D as was extremely low.

Will this help bone heal or is this as good as it gets

Thanks for reading

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would understand from that, that, yes, your pain when walking could well be due to an incompletely healed fracture. They say there is no evidence of bursitis or cartilage damage as in OA or muscle problems that would account for the pain.

I assume that is why they did the MRI? To exclude other possible causes of hip pain?

• Posted

I have to have an MRI every 6 months to exclude AVN I do Physio every week and Hydrotherapy twice a week, I'm told that pain is from muscles now because the hip is impacted and stable because its not moved in the year but I still need two crutches, consultant says he has no problem with me 100% weight bearing but I just can't, I can on a good day use one crutch but do tend to lean to right so still not fully on the injured leg.

Maybe I never will even though physio say I should be able to eventually manage with at the worst one stick.

I thought I would be mobile now

• Posted

Have seen top orthopedic consultant and under rheumatology department at local hospital and am always told same thing, could be another year to heal or may never because its such a solid impaction, so just thought maybe someone older who had gone through conservative treatment for hip fracture my know more

Thanks for responding anyway

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.