Hip bursitis and osteoarthritis pain.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering from hip bursitis, both sides, for about a year now.  Two steroid injections into the worst hip haven't helped.  I've been following a physiotherapy course for a month, but am still in pain.  Added to this, I have osteoarthritis in my knees, top of my right foot and both thumbs, all of which are painful at the moment.  I also am feeling very tired and under the weather.  I will be seeing my Orthopaedic Consultant on Wednesday and am wondering what to ask him.  He'll be checking on the hip bursitis, but will he be able to do anything about the arthritis?  More steroid injections?  Should I ask to see a Rheumatologist?  My legs and hips feel very heavy and I'm so tired of feeling like this, with little energy.  I'd be grateful for any suggestions. 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear you're in such pain, it's hard work isn't it.  Unfortunately OA does cause real problems with fatigue and not just because the pain tires you out, it's part of the symptoms regrettably.  Most doctors will look at anti inflammatory pain relief as the first port of call for treatment of OA. With replacement joints also being considered possibly at some point, depending on where it's located and other health factors.  I have it in one ankle, where it's not possible to replace the joint surgically so I've been offered fusion of the ankle, which I've refused as that will be a permanent disability, and NSAIDs, which unfortunately I dont tolerate well so I only take them when nothing else is working.  I had a steroid injection in my thumb joints, which was killer painful and really didnt give much lasting relief, so I won't go through that again.  I also developed Mortons Neuroma in the opposite foot from the arthritic ankle, due to over working that leg to compensate for the more painful one and they gave me a steroid injection in that foot but they did that while I was undergoing surgery on the other leg so at least I didnt have to endure the pain of that injection.  It did nothing I'm afraid, so I'm not convinced steroid injections are of any use to me.  I've researched foods which have anti inflammatory properties and other natural means of counterracting both the pain and the exhaustion, still early days and I havent found any miracle cure but taking ginger really helps - I make tea by grating fresh root ginger into boiling water and adding lemon juice and honey for sweetness and I also steep grated ginger in water, strain it and mix with body oil as a rub for painful areas.  It seems to be helping but as I said early days.  The most often prescribed anti inflammatory is ibuprofen or naproxen, both of which do take down the inflammation and therefore ease pain but they both cause a rise in stomach acids, so often you have to take a stomach protector too, like omeprazole etc.  I get intense nausea and diarrhoea on any NSAID meds so as I said I cant take them frequently but they dont affect everyone so badly.  Talk it through with the consultant along with the bursitis issue and see what's available to you.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, Loxie.  Your ankle sounds terribly painful.   I'll certainly try the ginger - it sounds delicious, so thanks for that.   I've had 3 steroid injections into my left thumb joint over the past few years and, you're right, it is very painful.  However, it does seem to work for me and that thumb has been relatively OK for about a year.  But, as I said, it didn't work for the bursitis, unfortunately.  Now both thumbs seem to have decided to play up at the same time!  I don't like NSAIDs either, they seem to upset my tummy, even though I do take Lansoprazole with them when I have taken Ibuprofen in the past.  Having IBS may not help.  At the moment I'm just taking Paracetamol, but it really doesn't do a great deal.  I've made some notes for tomorrow and, hopefully, will have a good talk with him.   Thanks again for your help.    
    • Posted

Hi Rosiemags.  Actually presently the hands are the most painful, the ankle pain I seem to be able to file away at the back of my mind most of the time unless I've over exerted myself or walked too much and it's very inflamed.  The cold/damp weather is a killer at this time of year, plus the lack of natural daylight seems to add to my fatigue a lot.  Someone recently told me to try turmeric as an anti-inflammatory.  The active ingredient 'curcumin' is the part that works apparently but the curcumin content in the spice turmeric is quite low (around 3%) so they recommended taking a herbal supplement with a higher concentration of it and to take it alongside fatty foods as its fat soluble.  I havent bought or tried it yet as I've only just found out about it and will do some research to find out how best to buy and take it but what I've read so far sounds very promising.  It's also a very effective anti-oxidant so has many other benefits over and above anti inflammatory properties.  I guess once I start taking it, it will be a few months to see whether it gives any benefit, no 'miracle cures' around I'm sorry to say.
  • Posted

Hi Rosiemags, I too have bursitis in my hips, I saw a consultant who wouldn't give me any more injections, he said they cure the symptoms but do nothing for the complaint.    As a result, I am on the list for a replacement and not particularly looking forward to it.

I had fusions in both thumbs, it's quite a performance, I was strapped up for two weeks and then spent six weeks in plaster.   However if you can bear all that, it has worked, both thumbs are now virtually pain free.

Good luck with the consultant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.