Hip dislocation

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, just reading some of your posts and replies. There are quite a few of you who have experienced hip dislocations. I am four weeks post surgery having had posterior surgery. Dislocation is my biggest fear at the moment. Can any of you tell me how and why this happens and how long after surgery the risk is lowered? Thanks for reading. x

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Cindy

I am just recovering from a dislocated hip.  This happened 15 months after my hip replacement. I was in the garden bending over taking heads of the dandelions to stop them seeding.  When I bent over once too much, I couldn't straighten up and the only thing I could do was go down on the lawn.  I couldn't move, my husband found me in this position. The only thing he could do was ring for an ambulance. When it arrived they couldn't move me and managed to get me on a stretcher in two halfs.  On the way to the hospital I had a full canister of gas and air to help with the short journey. That was Sunday evening.  They took me to theatre on Tuesday and gave me a general anaesthetic to put it back in place and I spent 5 days in hospital.

That was nearly 3 months ago and I'm still using a crutch to walk and have to keep stopping.  On a happier note I can drive my car but I'm suffering with damaged nerves in my foot and this holds me back.

My advice to you is to be careful and don't worry about dislocation because worry can hinder your recovery.

All the best for a quick recovery Brenda

• Posted

Thank you Brenda for sharing that with me. It

sounds like you had quite an ordeal. I hope things improve for you soon and I will take your advice onĀ board.

All the very best

Cindy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.