Hip dysplasia

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, was hoping for some information on anyone who has had a child suffer from hip dysplasia. I am doing project on it as my daughter suffered from this and was hoping for some findings, such as if your child has had any major problems after having the operation, or if they are fully recovered

thanks again

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My daughter was born with both hips dislocated 39 years ago in Edinburgh.  She was operated on when she was a year old and has been fine ever since.  She had a place and screws inserted which were then removed 2 years later.  She has done horse riding, synchronised swimming and is now a regular at the gym.  So far she has had absolutely no problems with her hips, though we were told that she might have to have hip replacements when she reached her 40s.  The worse time was after the op when she was in a plaster cast from just under her arms to her feet!  That lasted for 3 months and after that she was fine.  I am sure that now things are very different and good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying to this message. if you dont mind me asking, how did this have an affect on you as a mother going through this with your child? i have been doing some reasearch on whether this conditoon is heridatory and not having much luck. just wondering if any one in your family has suffered from any problems in the past?
    • Posted

Hi - it is partially hereditory as both my husband and I were very flexible and double jointed which can cause the problem, however neither of my two grandsons have inherited this, thank goodness.  It was discovered at birth but she was put into a plastic splint which the docs said would solve the problem.  However it didn't and we saw a wonderful surgeon just before she was a year old who told us exactly what he would do and that everything would be fine, and he was absolutely right.  Our daughter has never had another problem with her hips since.  It can also affect boys but not normally till they are about 6-8 years old so when our son was born he was monitored for about six years and was clear and we haven't needed to see anyone since then - he is now 36!
    • Posted

thanks for your time! this infomration has been a great help. I am pleased that your grandsons have not inherited this and as well as your son.

• Posted

I'm new her so apologies for replying late, I was born with a dislocated hip in 1966, back when they didn't check for it at birth, hence no one knew until I started crawling with 1 leg only! I had multiple ops when I was young, fitting plates and pins etc, I had absolutely no problems at all I even nearly became a pro swimmer until I hit 14, after an x ray it was discovered the plates and pins etc had basically corroded and twisted into my bone and had to be removed, I was always told I would have to have hip replacement early, I lasted until I was 47 and I'm now 5 weeks post op and doing well, hope this helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.