Hip flares

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I hope everyone is having a happy start to their new year!  I just have a quick inquiry...

I've had AS since childhood.  Usually an area will flare and stay problematic 6months-5 years.  My hip is effected now for the first time. So far, my right hip hurts, the pain travels down to my foot and I'm having substantial pain down my upper leg that feels like my bone marrow is screaming. Of course, it's effecting walking.

Since this is new for me, I'm wondering what to expect and if there's anything I can do to ease the severity.  If you've experienced AS hip flares I will appreciate hearing your insight and experience!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I get that as well. For me this disease moves around my body. Same as you. I have not had it long enough to identify all the patterns.

However with my hips, biggest help was my mattress. I went to a memory foam, kinda firm. My hips and pelvis have been much better since I switched. But again I have not had the time with AS to say it is fact.

• Posted

Thank you, Indi. I've tested memory foam mattresses in the stores. The ones I tried were dense. I move a lot in bed as the pain moves. The memory foam mattresses make turning over difficult for me. i think I need a much stronger core. I have added a thick memory foam topper which I love. It helps alleviate the painful pressure spots.

The only real pattern I know with my AS is that if I'm having a really bad day, it will pass. And the same goes for good days. I try to really enjoy the good days. I know things can shift with a new area being effected any second.

That's what's been happening lately... new pain. It settled in my hips this week. I know what helps when I have the inflamed joint-pinched nerve-spasms pain. Relaxation is key. And moving - getting my circulation going - provides a bit of relief, calming the intense pain a bit.

Now the pain is traveling differently. It feels like intense bone pain. The joint pain is traveling down my legs (and several other places) through the center of my bones. It feels like my bone marrows are screaming. I was sitting for 30 minutes in a folding chair and the pain kept climbing. I've been subconsciously trying not to breathe, as if the pain only exists when I'm breathing. Obviously it doesn't work. I only became very tired and light headed. Walking, stretching, massaging, calming and relaxing... nothing helps. And some of those things are causing intense pain spikes.

I suppose I've become accustomed to the frequent symptoms over the years. The new stuff is causing a bit of a panic.

• Posted

thanks again and yes, I know what that circulation problem is like. waking up with dead arms, legs, etc. I appreciate the input.
  • Posted

Hi

I have had AS for two years and it's progression has been quite fast especially in my hips. I am managing a flare up now that has lasted a month so far with continual anti inflammatories. I was also getting spasms in my left hip that made it difficult to bend and get out of chairs.

The best advice is swimming, walking, light yoga, physio and massage, not all at once you can mix it up, I swim

Three times a week which also helps me keep my weight down. I sometimes also try hot water bottles on the sore muscles as they compensate because of the inflamation.

Eat well - no dairy, gluten or sugar and lots of green veg and oily fish. Also try a curcumin supplement which helps inflamation.

Good luck and stay stress free - that also contributes towards your overall health! smile

Claudia x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.