hip flexor tendonitis won't go away after THR?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new here and trying to get some advice/clarity. I'm 3 years post op anterior THR left hip. I've had intermittent pain in my groin to upper knee since after the operation, but in the last year or so it's been pretty much nonstop. It feels like a pulled or irritated muscle, and I can sometimes feel a light pop in my hip when I flex it. My surgeon insists that it's end of stem pain and if anything it's basically my fault for having the gall to have reduced bone density. I saw an orthopedic doctor about a year ago at another hospital who diagnosed the problem as hip flexor tendonitis. I had an ultrasound guided steroid injection which gave me relief for about a week or two, and have been going to PT for about 5 months, but it doesn't seem to be improving at all. The therapist I'm seeing keeps changing his mind about what is causing the hip flexor to be irritated, and I can't tell if he is diligently reevaluating the situation he rules out causes, or just has no idea what the problem is and doesn't want to shatter the illusion.

Has anyone else experienced something similar and can offer any insight? Did PT help (and did it take a long, long time?) Did anything else help? Did you just have to learn to live with or manage the pain? I would really appreciate any insight or experiences you could share. The pain is pretty bad sometimes and I basically don't do anything anymore, either because it's too painful or because I don't want to trigger more pain. I used to be extremely active (weights three times a week, running ~40 miles a week spread over 5 days, and then cycling ~100+ miles once AVN put an end to running) but now I can't do anything (even short walks are usually painful), even though it's 3 years post op and everyone insisted that I was going to be as functional as I was before, so I'm starting to feel pretty bad. It's especially frustrating because I'm only 28, and the whole reason for the THR was AVN following chemotherapy from when I had leukemia as a teenager, so I'm starting to feel like it's just one debilitating medical problem after another after another.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.