Hip/groin issues for 4 months, wanting answers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey folks. Wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing, or can shed light on what's up with my hip/groin (that's super broad but I'll explain).

It all started four months ago when I could feel and hear my hip pop. It would normally happen after I'd been sitting for a while. I didn't think anything of it as it was painless. Then one day I felt like it needed to be popped, and that was a sensation I hadn't experienced. That's when my problems started increasing.

Every day I would have a dull aching pain deep in my groin (what I later discovered to be the pectineus muscle, if that's helpful), as well as pain on the outer side of my leg, right on the bone (greater trochanter). Both hurt to touch, and pain increased with activity to the point that by the end of the day all I wanted to do was lie on my unaffected side and not move. When it started affecting my sleep, I went to the doc. X-ray and ultrasound came back clear. No sign of inflammation of the bursa (which the doc thought it might be because I was having classic symptoms of bursitis). As the pain got worse, I was prescribed meds, walked with a cane to offset the weight I was putting on the affected leg (used the cane for 4 weeks), and saw a physiotherapist once per week for 7 times.

With these remedies, I'm happy to report that I'm so much better than I was. I no longer need the cane or meds, and I'm not sure if I'll continue physio (not sure how much more she can do).

That said, I continue to have pain if I press on my pectineus and pain if I stretch it. Same goes with my greater trochanter. I can't roll onto that side or even poke that sore spot as it's still tender. I can't do more than walk or stretch as the pain on my outer hip and groin returns. Additionally my hip has started popping again which makes me concerned. 

I've come a long way, and I am grateful for that, but these little remaining symptoms nag at me and I'm wondering if anyone's experienced this as well or something similar? I definitely don't want to get worse again as the pain was debilitating, and I'm afraid that whatever the problem was it's still there. If it helps, prior to my issues I was quite active. I didn't fall on my hip, no past hip injuries. I'm a healthy 23 year old female. Thanks! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dear Beth

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles and at so young an age too. Hopefully there are people here we helpful advice.

All the best Richard

• Posted

Thanks for the words of encouragement RichardKen! It can definitely feel like I'm an island sometimes and people don't truly get it. So it helps to know there are people like you who understand! Thanks again! B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.