Hip Injections

Posted , 17 users are following.

Everyone has been so lovely on here ~ thank you so much for your replies to my previous diccussuion. I thought I would ask one more question if I may. I need a full hip replacement, but the surgeon said I could try the injections into the joint, they do it with an xray with precision injections. The aim is to keep holding out for as long as possible for the hip replacement, both hips need replacing but the right is far worse than the left. Do these injections work??? Does anyone have any experience? I would love to know. I am in a lot of pain, the painkillers do not work. I have have had steroid injections but not into the joint. I was too upset to listen properly after the replacement conversation when I was with the consultant, and I really should have listened more carefully. I can have the injections next week, but don't know what to expect...or whether there is any point if I need a replacement anyway? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rose, I had the hip injections and at first they worked wonders for me. You are only allowed 4,per year and like everything else they don't seem to work as well by shot #3. My Ortho surgeon wanted to try every conventional method before finally going to surgery I went from rehab and I shots to shots and tramadol , eventually nothing was working anymore so we went to the surgery. Don't be afraid to try the shots, they did work for me and having months pain free was a relief
  • Posted

Hi Rose

I had an injection into my hip in January. I don't think the surgeon gave me enough local anaesthetic because the injection itself was REALLY painful and I was begging him to stop (but he didn't). I was given some tramadol and paracetamol in recovery and then went home. During the evening my hip got stiffer and stiffer and during the night more and more painful until I was sobbing with pain. My husband had to help me to the loo and I could not walk forwards - had to shuffle backwards and drag the affected leg with me!  After that awful night, things got rapidly better so it was short lived but in my opinion the small benefit I felt subsequently from this injection was not worth the pain of that 24 hours. Sorry to be so negative but hope my experience helps you to make up your mind

• Posted

Hello Rose. I had an injection done with X-ray and into the joint. My surgeon did it as a diagnostic tool. Was having other pains. Yes it knocked out my hip pain and enabled us to make the decision to go ahead with THR. It also helped with the diagnosis of the rest of pain which was coming from trapped sciatic nerve which I have also had treatment for. For me it was worth while.
  • Posted

Hi Rose

I was in exactly the same situation as you until my RTHR 6 days ago.

I had the injection as you describe in February, I found it uncomfortable but easily bearable.  It felt strange for around 12 hours.  After this I did not really feel any relief from the pain, I did however seem to have an increase in my range of movement. So for me I would say it was unsuccessful.

My advice would be to give it a try but ask to also be put on the waiting list incase it doesn't work, this was what I did and I'm so glad I did.

Good luck, Paula

• Posted

Hi Rose,

I also had the X-ray-guided injection.  It relieved my hip pain for about a day & a half.  However, my consultant was happy with this: he said it showed that my hip was indeed bu...ed, & the pain wasn't from the low back or some other reason.  He therefore decided to go ahead with the THR procedure.

I don't recall the injection being painful (any more than a jab at the dentist's, say).  In any case, I'd advise going ahead with the THR as soon as possible. You know you're in pain now; hopefully you won't be once you've mended from the operation.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Rose. I had these. Think it's called a hip block. It was fairly straightforward and not especially uncomfortable.

Yes it worked and for nearly 3 months I was considerably better. I had one in March 2014 and then another in November. The consultant told me after the 2nd one he couldn't do another and hip replacement only option.

I couldn't have a hip replacement until at least 3 months after my last hip block so had it early March this year.

Definitely helped me but only put off the inevitable. But it did make me realise how much pain I was in, once it stopped if you get my drift.

If you don't feel mentally ready to undergo such a major op, it is a good stop gap (well it was for me). It also confirms that the pain is coming from hip and not back so also diagnostic.

Good luck, hope you make choice you are happy with

Barbara xx

• Posted

I had a X-ray guided injection before he would agree that it was my hip that needed replacing. The relief was fantastic, after a couple of days I was totally pain free, but unfortunately it only lasted around 6 weeks. I asked him if I could have another one before the op as I wanted a holiday first but was told it wouldn't work as well so had the op instead.

if you haven't got a date for the op yet I would certainly give it a try. 

• Posted

Hi rose, I had injections, which are spaced out or 4 months at a time.  They didn't work for me after a while.  I just had total hip replacement 3 weeks ago.  I am making progress walking with a cane.  If you are a good canidate for the injections then try it, but don't be afraid to go for the surgery.  I had same day surgery and then went to a rehab for a week.  I was up and walking that day.  Granted it hurt, but the pain is managed very well with pain meds.  I am down to taking my pain meds twice a day.  Don't be afraid of surgery if it comes down to it, the pain is far diffrent than what I experienced pryor to the surgery and each day I feel stronger!  Hope this helps a bit.
  • Posted

Hi Rose , I would try the injections really might help , they are really just temperary

If the injection helps with your pain you should try it. I had injection for my back did help for 2 months good luck

Jackie

• Posted

I had that same thing, moving x-ray while a radiologist inserted the shot deep into the hip.

Had two of those. The only problem is they don't last.

The only upside is that you get to feel what it is like for a little while without the hip pain which is actually what drove me to get the surgery.

I wanted to feel like that all the time so I did what practically everyone else here did, went and had the surgery.

• Posted

I had the xray guided injection too.  It was a total flop.  The injection itself was nothing, very easy.    But the next few days my upper leg/hip area hurt more then before.  I figured it was sore because of the big injection and then it would get better. Well after 5 days I called the dr who did it and my ortho dr and told them I was worse and more pain.  THey both didn't know what might have happened.  I ended up with a tight ligament down the from groin area even after my hip surgery for about 1 month.  It finally is back to normal.  I wished I hadn't done it and just did the surgery which turned out great.  Why postpone the surgery that will happen someday anyway?
  • Posted

I had a hip injection yesterday and I too was anxious about what it entailed i.e. pain and relief. It was great!! My recent flu shot was more painful. The Dr. explained the procedure very thoroughly before hand and every step of the way. Like he said, it took longer to explain than it took to do the procedure. The actual procedure part took about 10 minutes. After I sat up on side of procedure table and stood up after sitting a minute. The hip pain relief was immediate. I am now in day one after the procedure and it is even better. Getting out of bed this morning had almost zero hip pain. I too am looking to put off hip replacement for some travel and retirement reasons not because I fear the procedure. I have had both knee replaced and it was the best thing I ever finally decided to do. After the great outcome of the first knee, I didn't wait for injections etc on the other. The miracles of these procedures is wonderful. Don't worry about your hip injection...it was "A piece of cake" for me yesterday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.