Edited , 6 users are following.
My first hip labral tear was due to a specific injury in February of 2010. We did the MRI, the tear was visible, I received two cortisone injections into my hip and followed a PT regimen until we decided it was not working and went ahead with the operation in October of 2010. I was 21 years old. Surgery consisted of sutures into the labrum to close the tear and debridement of the femoral head.
In 2014 I was pregnant with my second child when I was diagnosed with SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction). Basically, I had excruciating pain in my right hip (same hip that was operated on) that was unexplained by anything else. The pain was so severe I was physically unable to walk or put the slightest bit of weight on my legs. Because I was pregnant, we were unable to run any additional tests to see what the source of pain was so I was given this diagnosis, a script for pain meds, a cortisone injection, a SI Belt, and another PT regimen. After delivery, the pain subsided and I was able to continue life as normal.
In the summer of 2016 I was training for a 5K when my right hip pain returned. I followed up with my surgeon who did an MRI and was unable to find a “visual tear.” I received another cortisone injection, and started PT yet again. The cortisone injection gave me relief for less than 3 weeks. After 5 months of PT, I had no noticeable improvement in pain levels but did increase my range of motion. A week before returning to my surgeon for a recheck, I was at PT doing a hip flexor stretch (kneeling on the left knee and leaning in to my right hip) when the pain became so excruciating I was in tears. I was unable to put weight on my right leg and ended up leaving PT on crutches. The following week, when I returned to my surgeon he suggested a second labral repair. He explained that it was entirely likely that a tear was the source of my pain but was unable to be seen on imaging. At this point I was unable to drive to and from work without being in tears from pain.
In February of 2017 I had my second labral repair. This repair consisted of sutures in the labrum, 4 anchors into the femoral head, and osteoplasty. My surgeon debated on an allograft repair but decided during surgery not to use this technique. I had a fairly easy recovery, was back to walking two miles a day by April with minimal to no pain at all in my hip.
Last Friday as I was leaving work, I slipped on a wet floor and basically did the splits (I never actually fell to the ground, but my right foot slipped out). I felt a pop in my right hip and immediate pain but the pain was not horrible. Due to other circumstances, I was required to go to a walk-in clinic for immediate care where they did an x-ray and assured there was no bone displacement but to follow up with my surgeon for additional care. My pain steadily increased throughout that night and the following weekend. I went to my surgeon the following Monday as the pain had intensified without relief and my ROM had severely suffered. My surgeon said that the way I described falling, the location and type of pain I described, and my decreased ROM was fairly indicative of a labral tear (yes…NUMBER THREE), however since my surgery was barely three months ago he absolutely would not operate again. Since he refuses to operate he says there is no point in doing any further testing to see if there is an actual tear or not because his treatment will remain the same. He said we will treat as a non-operative labral repair and follow up in two weeks to see where we stand. I am back at physical therapy on stage 1 of the labral tear program and have been instructed to use crutches (non-weight bearing) for 2 weeks when we reevaluate. Given my history with cortisone shots not providing much relief, I don’t see the point in even trying that. I was given narcotics for pain tolerance which at this point is not providing much relief. I am unable to sit for extended periods, drive, stand, etc. and sleep for any extended period of time is proving to be a challenge.
Has anyone had experience with multiple labral repairs, specifically less than a year apart? At this point, should I try to get a second opinion? Any advice, experiences, or encouragement would be much appreciated.
0 likes, 9 replies