hip labrum tear

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi-I have kaiser permanente and have had a hip mri.  It showed a labrum tear of 1.5 cm.  I will be going to an appt in several weeks to go over the mri with the dr.  I am over age 50 and every time I have an orthopedic issue, all I am told is "it's arthritis". My question-is a 1.5 cm tear small? medium? Kasier NEVER wants to do anything to help.  Just "physical therapy."  My symptoms started with not being able to lift leg when getting into car or standing up.  Over the course of two years, I have had more and more pain in the front hip area and clicking started about a year and a half ago. 

thanks-

Judie

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, I also have labral tears 1 on each side and based on the mri scan they appear to be approx 4mm long (if the scan is showing life size which I guess it is) therefor 1.5mm is small as I too am told to see how it goes for living with pain, I notice google says labral tear surgery is very often accompanied with bad results for people over 40, my concern if one has surgery is what if it goes wrong eg my surgeon says he uses a type of plastic clip passed through holes he drills in the bone as an anchor but as you may know with time as the tear clicks get more pronounced that implies a lot of tension being released in the labral tear so if because we are over 40 and it does not heal what will become of us if the clip eventually breaks and starts falling apart inside us etc so a lot of research and questions mean while we are getting older and the tears get bigger which is scarry since the labral helps hold the hip joint together???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.