Hip length discrepancy

Posted , 9 users are following.

I got hip 1 done in March with no problems at all  after this procedure,  and got hip 2 done 6 weeks ago and have many problems, limping, back ache and  limited movement.

I see a Physio 3 times per week and today as I attended my 6 week check my surgeon said  I have a leg short by 5 MM , it happens to be my good hip and now he wants to  do another operation on my good hip to balance me out!!!

I'm distraught and worrried

Any one else had this problem???

Many  thanks 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Zibbet I had my second THR done 9 days ago. The leg was a bit short on that side(not due to the first THR but due to arthritis) but didnt make me limp.  The surgeon said he would correct that but I am horrified that the leg is quite a bit long after the op.  It is about half inch but the surgeon (one of the best) didnt mention it to me although it was apparent immediately to me.  I too am very worried about this.  I have read that it can correct itself once the swelling goes down but if it is longer I dont see how this can be.  The surgeon did say I have to stay on two crutches for six weeks and not go down to one to avoid 'a limp'.  Otherwise my mobility is great and I have been walking much better than the first time, but I am prone to lower back pain and feel that this will increase.   I dont see my consultant now until 3 Nov. I would be very worried if I had to have another op I really feel for you.  Hope you sort it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.