Hip Op

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am waiting to have a hip replacement and a very nervous and aprehemsive.  I have opted to go privately which excludes me from any help with mobilty aids ( borrowed now) and won't have care at home.  I do have great neighbours who will come in daily.  Will I be able to cope?

Bunty

6 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Alice,

It's only natural that you're nervous and apprehensive but you'll be fine. I also went private (but through the NHS - Patient Choice - You will get a choice of hospitals, among which may be private options - Have you looked into this? You wouldn't have to wait longer than 18 weeks from Referral to treatment (another NHS initiative).

I'll tell you about the equipment I had and where I got it. I found it helpful to me.This is my personal experience and I had a negative comment about this, my only one on this forum as everyone else has been lovely... Disappointing as all the other comments have been so positive and I was only trying to help. At the risk of another negative comment from that individual here we go...

I hired my equipment from the British Red Cross at my local hospital. They don't charge but just ask for a donation. I had:  A chair that was high enough for me not to have to stoop to get into it. I hired a commode, a raised toilet seat, a frame to go round the toilet with handles either side, a walking frame (but I didn't need that) and I purchased a tall folding wooden table from Argos for £9.99. This is handy to have beside your chair to put drinks on, remotes etc. Mine is now a plant stand! As you can't sleep on your side for a few weeks I used a boomerang shaped pillow and one of the long pregnancy pillows to wedge me in place.

It sounds like you have a good support network. Perhaps your neighbours will help you to prepare meals. As time goes on you will be able to do more but at first you'll get tired easily.I hope this advice helps, it is only my experience and you will get to learn of other's experiences and tips. Good luck, you will be just fine!

• Posted

I saw that negative comment. I needed and used all the stuff you mentioned so we just have to accept our differences. Some live alone and need to have as many aids as possible to be independent.
    • Posted

​ am going in on the 7th.....bought a She-wee instead of havingb a cpmode..yikes.  Going to go to Argos and buy   picker upper thing!

​Lists everywhere...Its the 'beiong on my own' that worrieds me when I come home.Have cats too which will have to be fed 'high up!

• Posted

I have also purchased a She-wee as sitting down and standing is extremely painful.  Take time to practise using it before your op though.
    • Posted

Forgot to say I haven't had THR yet, I have an MRI appointment for next week and then the consultant the following week.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reassuring message.  I didn't know about Book and Choose till I had arranged the op privately.  I am normally a very self assured person..and don't recognise the 'wet blanket' I am now.  I do have a good network of friends just not family and am widowed ( like lots I know) and do not have childen.l So wanted reasurrance about the night times really. Bought a 'She Wi' this morning instead of having to find space for a commode..that made me laugh in Boots today. This is a good site..apart from one or two negative remarks..not what is needed right now. but most are helpful and supportive..as your was.

Thank you.

u

• Posted

Hi Alice,

Don't worry you will get your confidence back. Being in pain and on medication, especially long term, wears you down. It takes over your waking hour and makes you feel negative. My confidence has now returned. You've also still got your sense of humour (She Wi - Boots) which I think will get you through most situations. I always think negative remarks are made by negative people. You don't need those sort of remarks now, let alone at any time in your life. The majority of people on here are very positive and supportive.  You will be fine, stay strong, keep in contact with your friends and much happier times are ahead of you! Good luck and good health..

• Posted

Thank you chocolate57...I have hidden some maltesers to have as  a treat when I get home. 

Re pain ..I don't have much and hardly take painkillers ..The pain is in patches but I def have a 'sailors roll' sometimes! But it is a concern for me as surgeon hasn't examined me but just looked at the xray...but assume and hope that despite not being examined by consultant that the xray was all he needed!

This is an inspiring site.

Alice

• Posted

keep ending these good posts and I agree there appears to only have been one negative comment..so all in all I am more relsxed.  Hope I will still have these next week as think I will be very shaky next Sunday!

​ali

• Posted

I went privately but private hospital made referral to occupational therapy and I got aids from them. I also got grabber from district nurse. If you need care at home apply to social services or which ever if appropriate in your area. Going private does not take away your right to care. Here in northern Ireland, respite care can also be applied for if yoiu are totally alone. Good luck. This forum is a life enhancer.
    • Posted

Yes it is..I am seeing GP on Wednesday and will ask if I could have a bit of social care fro a week.

Thanks.

Ali

• Posted

Hi Bunty,

I also lost my husband some years ago and live alone (in human terms) but have big dogs, cats and horses, my daughter is my only blood relative and as a GP trainee works long shifts in an area a few hours traveling distance so impossible for her to help. Like you, I was concerned about how I would manage post-op and my main concerns were for my animals.

Please take heart, it really is "do-able", you just need to take it all at your own pace. Try to make your living space as safe as possible before your op, put things you use regularly where you can reach them, remove loose rugs, stock your freezer with easy meals etc. I slept in my lounge when I first came home as I developed a morbid fear of not being able to get the dogs out in the event of a fire.

I was unable to pre-plan as my LTHR was performed as a result of a serious accident with multiple fractures but realise how much it would have helped. I also did on-line food shopping and contacted them to explain my circumstances, they were fantastic, even bringing the food in and putting it into the fridge and freezer. Its amazing how helpful they will be if you just ask.

On the subject of prescriptions, if you are 60yrs old they are free, regardless of going PP or NHS so you should be able to contact OT and get a prescription for all the aids you need.

Anti-coagulants (blood thinners) do not have to be by injection, I have a severe porcine allergy so was given Rivaroxaban 10mg tab daily for 30 days, many others on here were given junior asprin so there are choices.

Your GP will be able to arrange physio and again you should not be paying for this.

As for negative comments, we all get them and they do hurt but try not to let them get you down, you will get so much positive support on here so try to relax and keep asking questions. Big (((( HUGS)))) Dot X

• Posted

What a nice post with, as with others, lots of useful information.  How lovely to have horses, and dogs too..I would have done exactly the same and may well with my cats (2) but they do have exits via a cat flap so I am lucky.

​However I DOr have to pay for the OT equiment and also any medication required after leaving hospital.  I have checked and checked with the hospital about this . I suspect if I was going on an Insurrance claim and not self funding I couldn't have had to,  My GP however has said she will give me an NHS RX for the heparin.  How awful for you to have had to go through all this as a result of an accident....

Happy Sunday....

Alice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.