Hip pain 9 months after left anterior THR

Posted , 3 users are following.

I want to know if anyone else has been through this painful dilemma.  I’m a 54 year old male who had a left total hip replacement. (Anterior). All along the past 9 months I’ve shown improvement.  With the exception of a tightness that really has never gone away.  My leg really hasn’t gain all the strength back as well as I often still have to lift it into the car.  It’s not painful, just a hassle.

Today, that all changed.  I was staying at a hotel nd sat on a chair that was pretty low to the ground for about a 1/2 hour.  When I  got up I could barely walk.  Very painful.  I had to take my boys to a baseball game that morning, so I pushed through the pain.  I never went away.  Felt like a bad Charlie horse all day.  After driving 200 miles Home after the game I was really spent and sore.  I took a muscle relaxer and an oxy.  That has helped the pain.  I have no idea what this could be.  I had my chiropractor take an ex ray and he found nothing wrong with the replaced hip.  Any idea ?  I was wondering if it was a nerve...please help.....

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It took me 2 years to get over thr although I am a lot older than you. I still favour the other hip even though that is arthritic too. I never sit on low seating. Sounds to me like specific exercises are needed to strengthen your thigh muscles. Surprised your chiropractor didn't suggest consulting a physiotherapist. Good luck.

• Posted

My story may give you some hope and a way forwards.

I was diagnosed with 'classic hip OA' at age 42 (I'm now 55). At the time I was heavily involved in martial arts and not keen to give it up. I also had extremely good awareness of my body and I was convinced that the problem was caused by twisting in my pelvis - something I later went on to discover was the result of a whole body muscle imbalance. The experts all insisted I was in denial. Well, I was right - they were wrong. I fixed the imbalance (it took me 10 years) and all the symptoms went away. 

I shared my story on these boards a few years back and tried to help others. It turned out that there were common patterns and EVERYONE that got in touch with me had the same muscle imbalance. Many have since gone on to correct the imbalance and eliminate symptoms. 

Here's the thing - there is no way of telling which cases are CAUSED by joint degeneration, and which cases have joint degeneration as a result of the real cause of symptoms - muscle imbalance. The only way to tell is to treat the imbalance and see what symptoms remain - if any.

Now, in your case you went ahead with surgery but things were never fully corrected. That suggests that part of your problem was caused by the muscle imbalance and that imbalance is STILL present and causing you problems.

I tend to refer to the imbalance as 'twisted pelvis' - the muscles in one half of the body get lazy and that twists the pelvis out of normal position and causes all sorts of muscles to go into painful spasms. There are numerous muscles involved - it's a complex imbalance. However, one of the key LAZY muscles is the psoas on the symptomatic side. The fact that you have to lift your leg when getting out of the car suggests it's still weak, and certainly sitting in a low seat could cause it to go into a tight little spasm that could lead to pain. Prior to me fixing my imbalance I would always limp badly and find it hard to stand upright. 

If this sounds like something you might like to look into some more then tell me more about the details of your symptoms - where exactly do you feel the pain? what does it feel like? I may well be able to give you some clues. 

• Posted

Edit:

"Prior to me fixing my imbalance I would always limp badly and find it hard to stand upright. "

Should read

Prior to me fixing my imbalance I would always limp badly and find it hard to stand upright. AFTER SITTING FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.