Hip pain after knee replacement

Posted , 19 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I am 42 and had a total knee replacement 4 weeks ago.I am now having such hip pain it hurts worse than my knee during therapy. Has this happened to anyone else. Also what did you do for it. I am icing both and putting heat in hip also. I'm on blood thinners for two more days , wondering if cortisone shot would help.

5 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Wendy! Congrats on getting your knee done. Had mine done in July and couldn't be happier. Had my hip done 4 years ago when I was 46. My hip pain was so bad. Lifting my leg to get out of the car and standing and walking became unbearable. Assuming you have already had an x-ray and osteoarthritis is ruled out then I would go for an MRI. I know when I began to have knee troubles I was walking squed which affected my back and hips. Is it possible that you've strained your hip because of your knee issue, do to walking or favoring your knee? As said earlier an x-ray or MRI would help determine the nature of your problem. Good luck with your knee and hip. Wish you a speedy recovery. Just remember your knee can take a long time to heal do to the soft tissue damage and such. So take it easy, do your PT regliously and try to stay patient. Take care!

• Posted

Hi there you sound so positive, can I pick you brains as I am 4.5 weeks post op in a TKR..when did you stop take pain relieve?.

I feel looking back on my first physio and going to my 4th tomorrow the progress has been amazing.. just wondering when does the pain, swelling and tiredness go.🌝

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

​My gut feeling is that your knee, over the time it was giving you trouble,  leading up to your TKR has thrown you body mechanics right out of alignment. Now that your knee has been fixed and your body mechanics (hopefully) have been correctly aligned it is taking your hip a period of time to settle down to its CORRECT motion pattern.

​I had years of lower back pain and Si joint pain however, after my partial knee replacement, when my body mechanics were correctly aligned again gradually my lower back pain and Si joint pain have eased right off - brilliant. not perfect but getting there.

I did however see a Chiropractor for gentle manipulation too.

Good luck.

John

• Posted

Wendy,

I had some hip pain too, due to a leg length discrepancy.  If everything is not  in length the stress hits the hip, pelvis, and back. Getting orthotic lifts from a podiatrist this week to try to even things out. 

• Posted

Hi Wendy

my husband woke up with bad hip pain on same side as his total knee replacement surgery leg. This was new hip pain. He never had hip pain before. He is 25 days post op and his hip pain is worse than the post op knee pain. Do you still have your hip pain? Did you find out why you had/have it?

• Posted

Wendy,I feel your pain.I had my knee replacement 1.5 years ago. I can bearly walk and get around. My pain is so bad in my leg, hip, and lower back.Ive been to countless Drs and PT several times. They tell me to keep up with PT, but its been going on for too long.Ny knee replacement ruibed my life and no Dr seems to know how to help me.Im sorry for what you are going thru.
  • Posted

I had both my hips replaced 8 and 10 years ago , my knee replacement 4 weeks ago I'm only 42 , I also have terrible pain in my right hip and in my thigh at the top, phiso are concerned that the replacements may be worn in. See my surgeon next week for my knee check up i just hope phisos are wrong

• Posted

Yes I have had a knee replacement 

And a knee revision.  Both my hips from the hips down ache 😖 trying to find out why?

• Posted

It's because you've unconsciously changed the way you walk to avoid the pain in the knee.  Typical...very common.  Hips/spine out of alignment, locked SI joints and more.  See a chiropractor before it turns into sciatica.  A few sessions a week for a few weeks...done.

• Posted

I had total right knee replacement on November 16, 2017.  As of right now it's Tuesday December 26,2017 @ 04:19. I am awake right now because I am on a bit of pain . My pains wake me up every hour at the beginning of the teens. Most days I t stops after 3:11. I don't go back to work until January 11th. I hope that becomes a succcessfully executed and uneventful task. Meanwhile, my P/O appt is tomorrow 12/27 @ 11:00. My doc has been sending both the RN and the PT to my residence as he was adamant  about me NOT leaving my home. Until post-op. I will keep you posted 

• Posted

Wendy you could have bursitis in hips it usually happens after a knee operation ask your doctor to take X-rays r an MRI

You will ache at your hips I have it after my knee operation and I’m going in to get needles in both hips 😆

• Posted

Wendy you could have bursitis in hips it usually happens after a knee operation ask your doctor to take X-rays r an MRI

You will ache at your hips I have it after my knee operation and I’m going in to get needles in both hips 😆

• Posted

Hey Ms Wendy I am 5 weeks post op L TKR and my hip is hurting like HELL. I had my right knee done in 2015 and did not experience any hip pain IDK why this one is so different. 
  • Posted

I realize that this is an old post, Wendy. I just want to say that at 4 months out I am having excruciating hip pain. I have to ask my primary doctor to order an M.R.I. as this is absurd. I live with pain in my knee, my hip, and my lower back. I am hoping, by now, that you are doing much better and that you have found a way to no longer have hip pain. It was so affirming for me to learn that you, too, have experienced hip pain. I could not figure out why I was experiencing pain in the areas that I denoted! Thank you so very much!
    • Posted

Sometimes when you have an operation 

Months later something else can hurt like your hips you will heel hun, it will just take time god bless

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my comment. You have been most kind and most encouraging! I wonder how much time. I am so scared that the pain will never go away! Again, thank you, Lori! confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.