Hip pain after right femur surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was recently In a motorcycle crash and am very lucky to be typing this. I fractured my right femur and I'm just curious if after this metal rod surgery will I ever be able to sleep on my side again? Right now it's so bad and I'm increasingly lacking sleep. Some insight would be nice. Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi yep I fractured my hip two years ago and didn't have op, too long an explanation LOL, I have slept on my side since 12 weeks, i use a pillow between knees and sleep on good side, always slept on right so that's why but I can lay on left side now without pain, you should ask consultant and are you still on crutches

• Posted

I had a rod and screw in my tibia and screws in the ankle on 3/13/18.I was not able to sleep on my bad side until fairly recently comfortably, and still not 100% comfy,I use several body pillows in different places. I don't think I actually slept a night for about a week and a half after being home. It was dozes here and there while the reality of a broken leg hit me. I basically was non weight bearing and ice and elevate, ice and elevate for several weeks. Sorry to rant,but in the end,yes,you will sleep on your side again. Try a body pillow in between your legs,lying on the good side.

• Posted

I'm a 72 year old female and four years ago I slipped over and broke my femur and had a metal rod and screws put in.  I was told full weight bearing from day one and after seven months my bone was healed but for the first few months there's obviously a lot of pain  but it gradually subsides and I don't have any pain in it now.  One thing I think has happened is that one leg is a different length to the other, not much though. Seventeen months after the operation I was having a lot of crunching and grinding in my hip and knee where the screws were sticking out and had them taken out which solved the problem. By the way I have been told that the osteoporosis medication I was taking to strengthen my bones was the actual cause of my femur breaking as it can sometimes cause things called atypical femur fractures as the medication only hardens the bone rather than it being regularly replaced and this causes the bones to be brittle and break very easily, so easily in fact that I was recently told I had a tiny fracture in my other leg and might need another nail but luckily it looks as if it's healed since I stopped taking the medication.   If I had to break a bone again I would definitely choose the femur rather than the lower leg as I didn't have to have a plaster or metalwork just two small dressings and it seems to have been very straightforward regarding healing etc. whereas people with lower leg breaks seem to have a lot more trouble.

• Posted

Wow, Apreciate it. Sounds like it's been tough. Good luck with everything! This helped!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.