Hip pain etc....what is it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am so sick of the hip pain its driving me nuts......today is a bad day my shoulders are piercing and my hips including groin area are giving me jip..... took my medication and no joy....... I just wish I could get to the bottom of whats going on?????? hips numb ice cold along with bottom of spine and thighs...... don't know if this is causing the severity of the pain today????

My doctor said I had burstsis of the hip ([u:14b4fb16ee]9 months ago[/u:14b4fb16ee])and I was diagnosed with [u:14b4fb16ee]degenerative discs[/u:14b4fb16ee] but other areas are like toothache....both hips (left more severe however),shoulder(above crease near arm pit,tender to touch if pressed) and the base of my thumbs....... I had MRI on spine which diagnosed ddd, had xray on hips said it [u:14b4fb16ee]showed spacing?[/u:14b4fb16ee]??? (this could be due to congenital hip I had when born???? OR COULD BE the start of Osteoarthritis) I had various blood tests RA etc but all came back negative apart from \"i[u:14b4fb16ee]nflammation [/u:14b4fb16ee]showed in [u:14b4fb16ee]anemia test\"[/u:14b4fb16ee]

Doctor give me [u:14b4fb16ee]amitrypline[/u:14b4fb16ee] to help me sleep due to burning and pins and needles in feet I have sometimes.........I take [u:14b4fb16ee]declofenac[/u:14b4fb16ee] and [u:14b4fb16ee]tramadol[/u:14b4fb16ee] three times a day, today they haven't even took the \"edge off\" two weeks ago however doc gave me [u:14b4fb16ee]acelofenac a[/u:14b4fb16ee]nd my hips were relieved but my spine was severe (more of a severe nerve pain)I couldn't move off the sofa and as the hip pain is a bit more bearable, I had to go back to the [u:14b4fb16ee]declofenac[/u:14b4fb16ee] and so my hips and shoulders have now increased more?????. My base of my thumb is the only joint that shows it is inflammed as it goes red and burns when I have used my hands alot???? stays like this for hours.

As I am 34 with three kids I am at my witts end I cant walk far without pain in my hip and as I have been off work I just want to get to the bottom of it so I know where my future is, I work in an office and I love my job in the building society but I am still under investigation.......waiting for pain clinic appointment and in the meantime work want to know the severity of it all, they have been supportive but after too much time off I feel they are going to get fed up!! I have to up 4 flights of stairs and that is a nightmare..... I am fed up!!!!!

Regards

Sara :oops:

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sara

Your job can only make your conditionl worse by climbing 4 flights of stairs. Your condition is not going to go away if you have DDD. Eventually you will need to come to terms with changing your job to a more suitable one for your condition. Perhaps a job that has an elevator so you don't have to climb stairs. Sorry if I seem blunt, but that's the reality of the situation.

• Posted

hi Regina

Thanks for your reply,

I have come to terms with things with the ddd but as other things are still under investigation its driving me mad, I feel as though the doctor thinks I am imagining things!!!I am just gonna have to be patient and wait for my Pain Clinic appointment, as there was a eleven week waiting list!!!

I was wondering about going back to work next week and see how I go??? As last time after getting to the top of the stairs I went numb down one side of my body, top of my thigh and arm below elbow to my hand, quite scary, work sent me home.

Anyway Regina thanks once again, for listening, how are you? I hope you are coping. Nice to chat to someone that understands xx

Regards

Sara

• Posted

Hi

If you can afford it I suggest that you go and see Quentin Howarth in Egremont who is an osteopath who can give you a unbiased second opinion.

It is difficult to diagnose over the net because you are relying on the patients information.

At first I thought you might be suffering with Fybromyalgy, but you work in an office with computers and you have had children which could split the division of the complaints to upper and lower neurological dysfunctions, ie

The lower pain could be a twist in the pelvis which he could check for and the upper could be a restriction to the Cervicals at the base of the neck re posture because of the hours spent on the computer. A little advice, if you go swimming make sure it is only on the back. The numbness incident is a bit worrying. Ask your GP for a CT scan, not an x-ray.

Good luck

Dr. A. Mathews. PhD

• Posted

HI there Dr Mathews

After I had my first child I had a scan on my hips the Leonard Redshaw Scanner at FGH and it showed I had a small pelvis and was unable to give birth naturally, since I have had x-rays recently on my hips is there anyway way they can compare images to see if my hip joints have altered since 1993??? I was also diagnosed with a straight lumbar spine \"lost the s\" however my doctors didn't specify if this would cause a problem!!! my first gp I saw said to go back to work .....(as you read previously) Can I ask to see a rheumtologist or is it my present doctors decision? I am just hoping the pain clinic has some answers before the end of the year!!!!!!! I am going back to work next week as I think I may as well be at work in the same predicament as at home watching tv the doc said its up to me if I want to go back to work.....all depends I suppose how the next few days turn out!!!!!

kind Regards

Sara

• Posted

[quote:b8055a23fd=\"SES\"]HI there Dr Mathews

After I had my first child I had a scan on my hips the Leonard Redshaw Scanner at FGH and it showed I had a small pelvis and was unable to give birth naturally, since I have had x-rays recently on my hips is there anyway way they can compare images to see if my hip joints have altered since 1993??? I was also diagnosed with a straight lumbar spine \"lost the s\" however my doctors didn't specify if this would cause a problem!!! my first gp I saw said to go back to work .....(as you read previously) Can I ask to see a rheumtologist or is it my present doctors decision? I am just hoping the pain clinic has some answers before the end of the year!!!!!!! I am going back to work next week as I think I may as well be at work in the same predicament as at home watching tv the doc said its up to me if I want to go back to work.....all depends I suppose how the next few days turn out!!!!!

I have an underactive thyroid too!!!!!

kind Regards

Sara[/quote:b8055a23fd]

• Posted

Hi Sara

Thanks for the update on the pelvis, and the pelvis is something that I could talk all day about especially its relationship to women's painful and heavy periods, but that is another story.

From what you tell me I am now fairly positive that you have a mechanical problem that a good osteopath should be able to sort out.

Once the pelvis is balanced then you need to get into Pilates and build up the Core Stability around that area. After about three months you should feel quite a different woman. You do not need to see a Rheumatologist, all you wil receive is Steroids. Pain clinics are for patients that the GP and Consultant cannot help any further. I know I help out in one of them. It is a shame really, if only we could have the patient first in the acute stage instead of approx 18 months later a severe chronic. I assume that you are one of the many types of Thyroxine. You can help yourself with this condition. Indirectly you can stretch your Pec. majors in different ways, the best being swimming on your back (any stroke) and not on your front it will make it worse. Another is to stimulate the Thyroid Gland my massaging it and articulating it. This is possible even though it is encased in cartilage.

Keep an open mind and think laterally.

Regards

Dr. A. Mathews

• Posted

hi there Dr Mathews

Thanks for replying to me I am on 175mcg levothyroxine(highest upto 200mcg)and been with underactive thyroid for 8 years, I had clicky hips when born (cast for six months when I was a baby, don't know if this is relevant) and anytime I have done exercises like leg raises my left hip clicks, it is painful walking also. I am at the stage I have just got to get on with things but my own doctor said when my daughter asked \"will my mam be on medication for the rest of her life(relating to ddd)\" He said \"your mums condition isn't serious I think he thinks i am stupid!!!! as it is degenerative???? just that my other problems seem to be bothering me at the same time (along with bladder weakness)!!!!!(W I surgery for you lol (heard many complaints), diagnosed my thyroid myself as I was classed as being depressed and that was before I had a pc!!!!)Thank goodness as I am seeing on of the locum doctors and he was the only one that listened to me sort of, he got the xrays done ...got the ball rolling!!!!

Anyways what is stretching \"pec\" I cant swim unfortunately a bit of a phobia?? I make sure I go for a walk everyday, is there anything else I can do?? How do I go about seeing a Rheumatologist? will the pain clinic include this???? or do I ask my gp? and as for asking my gp to have a CT scan you said previously I am entitled to request this?? :roll:

Thanks once again for you replying to me.

Regards

Sara

• Posted

Hi there :angel:

I have my up to date blood test results:-

FBC - HB 11.8 units g/dL range (12.0-15.0) Stat which is LO

Haematocrit - 34.3% (36-46) LO

Lymphocyte count 1.3 10*9/L (1.5-4.0) which is LO

WBC 4.2 10*9/L (3.4-11) NORMAL

other tests in this category were ok

Erythrocyte sedimentation count 32mm (1-12) which is HI

Liver function test all came back normal apart from:-

Serum Gamma 159iu/L (<42) HI

As my thyroid function test had altered she wasn't interested due to the urine infection and my thyroid function test I had to decrease my medication as it had altered:

Serum TSH 0.20mu/L (0.36-4.1)

Serum T4 level 27.2 pmol/L (11.2-26.0)

and as you can see no Rhuematoid factor was taken or HLA-B27 so how can this Rhuematologist make a diagnosis of Mechanical Back Strain, I am sure I would make sure I had looked at all expects if this was my profession especailly as my medical file wasnt there...... as I have had this so called mechanical back strain for almost a year???? I asked why have I had this for a year , she said I was unfortunate?????............. she said I had superficial tenderness in most of the parts in my body with all the soft tissues on the thorax and trunk and I was hyper mobile in my peripheral joints MCPJ'S and IPJ'S,???????scheobers measurements were reasonable at 4.5cms.....I was uncomfortable on side flexion and she states my lumbar lordosis is normal( my x-ray results say otherwise, lost my curvature?????) NO focal signs of CNS and I had a urine sample taken which showed protein she says there is no significance!:doctor:

The Rhuematologist didn't have my medical file along with the xrays or MRI results??????????

Thanks for reading this x.

Kind Regards

:cry:

Sara

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.