Hip pain following spinal fusion

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have had a spinal fusion on 4 levels which was done in 2 stages.  First stage the surgeon went into my spine sideways and replaced 2 discs with cages and then 2 weeks later went through my back and put another cage, 2 plates and 8 screws.  I am pleased to say that I no longer have lower back pain but I can only stand and walk for short periods of time as my back tightens up and I get pain in what seems to be my right hip.  Has anyone had similar and do they know what it is?  

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Sooo, its about four in the am. had repair of a repair back surgery. Heres the tally:

Second surgery: 07 March 2022

8 hours, 2 surgeons, 41 screws, 1 wedge, plates and baskets with Lamifusion from T-4 to L-5 (how ever many that is)

Guys, I was in excellent mental, physical, and emotional condition prior to all this going down. Since surgery I have experienced a depression the likes of which I have only read. The pain has been an exquisite, never relenting, journey through hell. And now my hips hurt so ferociously I often times cannot walk. Is this normal? Ive been back to surgeon but no one seems to have answers. Can someone please help me? I am not up at 0400 hours writing this because of boredom. At this point I have been up through the night because it hurts so bad to turn simply turn over.

I will take all advise to heart. Please help me.

• Posted

Yes, exquisite right hip pain. Becoming worse.

-3 spine surgeries last 20 months

-Fused T10 to S1

-68 screws

-6-6" rods from Fractured Sacrum to Iliac Crest

8 months since last surgery

-Pain in right hip down to big toe is becoming unbearable

-Stopped prescription meds 3 months ago

-right leg gives out at times

-Pain so exquisite causing me to yell out at times

-Sleep ~2-4 hours each night

-Cannot turn over in bed

-Walking near impossible without a walker

-Wake up to a daily ass whooping and lay down with a determination to make it through the night.

-Talk myself into standing from sitting as pain is beyond anything i've ever known

-Walk daily

-Always have been very active

-Have had cortizone injections in hip

What can be done? How can pain be minimized?

• Posted

Hi,

I also had a double instrumented fixation and fusion.

Unfortunately, my 2 discs were too far gone for cages.

I'm still suffering from lower back, hip and leg pain. Especially when standing or sitting for a long time, bending forward or climbing stairs.

I'm seeing a different consultant now who thinks the pain may be coming from the sacroiliac joint and is looking at sorting this out. I wonder if your pain is from there too?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.