Hip Pain for a few months, suddenly worse

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had some pain in my right hip for a number of months now but haven't thought much of it, but recently the pain has escalated and I can no longer walk easily. My right hip is visibly bigger than my left now, and when I press on the skin the flesh part is fine but once I come into contact with bone it hurts. It's also very stiff.

The kind of pain is a deep, deep ache with stabbing feels when I move it or lean on it. It seems to get worse at night and I can barely sleep anymore, and I always have to lie on my left side as any weight on my right hurts too much.

I'm wary of going to the doctor as I don't want to waste anyone's time if it's nothing to worry about, since I already have fibromyalgia it could just be from that but it feels different.

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know you don't want to hear this, but you need to see an orthopedic doctor. You sure don't want to break a bone.

• Posted

Please do go and see your doctor If you have an xray that shows excessive wear and tear then that might, more than might, be the cause of your pain.

I've had OA for years and jogged along living with the pain until one day I'd had enough. I did still have OA but I also needed a new hip as was clear from the x-ray. Five years on and after only a little more than 48 hours in hospital after the op i'd be back tomorrow if my other hip hurt.

Seeing the ninety-four year old Duke of Edinburgh walking without sticks at today's wedding six weeks after his hip replacement will encourage those who are walking in constant pain.

Good luck.

• Posted

I agree with what BettyE  said. It does sound like you might need a hip replacement. I was the same as you, but was left to deal with the pain for 13 years as they said I was too young for the hip replacement and should wait until I could no longer bear the pain. It has now been 2 years since I had the operation and within 6 weeks I didn’t need a crutch either I have my life back now and can sleep.  

Unfortunately, because I waited for so long to have the op, I now have facet joint arthritis in my lower back because of my gait. 

• Posted

I'm wondering if this could be Bursitis? You must go to your GP, especially if the pain is affecting your sleep. If you have developed a Bursa on your hip, or on the bone near your hip, your GP could drain it and give you a steroid injection to give you much needed relief. Draining a Bursa isn't too bad and can be performed at your GP surgery. I've had several, some on my knees, my shoulders and in the palm of my hand. But even if I'm wrong, and it isn't a Bursa, you won't be wasting your GP's time. They will investigate the pain, and hopefully be able to relieve it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.