hip pain from TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was doing Ok had a good day in PT last Thursday, did a lot of different things.  The next day I could hardly walk.  My y pain ran from my knee, through my thigh, to my hip.  The hip pain gets worse each day.  I cannot sleep, sit, or hardly walk.  Pain killers only dull the pain for about 3 hours.  I had surgery about 11 weeks ago.  Any one have had or having a similar experience?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am still awaiting my knee replacement my pain was unbearable i now put ice on my knee 3 times daily i also use freeze spray especially before i go to bed it eases it slightly max
  • Posted

I'm now 20 wks post op and still get pain if I overdo things I am back at work as a nurse and so on feet a lot my advice would be to rest gor a day or do use ice regularly and pain relief as needed if no better GP may be necessary.

• Posted

The ilio-tibial (IT for short) band is actually a tendon of the Tensor Fascia Lata (TFL) muscle that stretches from the hip, down the side of the leg, and into the tissues at the side of the knee.

A tight IT band can limit how much you can bend your knee, cause poo patellar tracking, and it’s hallmark is intense knee pain when you’re descending stairs or a hill.

In most cases, stretching the tissues will give relief. But, it’s also important to understand what may be causing the shortening in the first place.

Sitting down for long periods, especially with the knees apart, puts the TFL/ITB complex in it’s shortest position. If you’re job keeps you in the car or at a desk for most of your day, then your ITB will probably get short.

Done it .

After a knee replacement, as matter of convalescence you’re going to be sitting down more often than not.

And it’s easy to overwork the TFL after knee surgery because it has the job of lifting your leg and helping you walk while the other muscles are recovering from the surgical incision.

• Posted

I had this problem, even before my PKR. My p.t. Told me to use a rolling pin and gently roll it up and down this area. Use something like lidocaine cream and massage it in. She also says a heating pad may help. I've been doing this for the last couple of weeks and my pain has actually gotten much better.  I hope this helps. 

• Posted

I have a roller and I need to get it out again.  Thanks for the reminder,  
  • Posted

I had KRS 7 months ago.  My hip hurts too but I found out two weeks ago that I have osteoarthritis in my hip.  I don't know if that is the cause of the hip pain.  I also have had IT band problems.  Any suggestions from anyone on how to help IT band problems.  

My knee surgery went well but don't lose hope if you're in pain weeks after.  It takes months to get adjusted to your new normal.  All of,a sudden you stop being aware of the knee.  My bend was hard to come by but it's at 115 most of the time and 120 if I'm feeling really good.  

Youll get better, I promise.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.