Hip/pelvic pain

Posted , 14 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hello all, I've been having hip and lower back pain for the last 3 months, mostly on left side, but a little on the right too.  Now for about a week I've started also to get an aching pelvic pain very low down on the left side - not around the ovary, much lower, near the crease between my thigh and lower belly, as if it is on the side of my uterus. It's not severe, but is pretty much always there.  I can't find any obvious lump or swelling, but then I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is right or not, since I'm not an expert.

I've also been having quite a bit of lightheadedness, and joint pain in my elbows.  I am pretty sure that I've also started perimenopause, as around the same time as the hip pain started, I had a late period for the first time, usually I'm punctual every 4 weeks.  I've now had one at 7 weeks, then at 4 and now again at 6, last one was very light.  I know that perimenopause can cause all sorts of other symptoms, lightheadedness and joint pain included, and at first I put the hip pain down to that.  But the pelvic pain certainly doesn't seem right and since the hip and back pain is on the same side, I'm concerned it may be something else.  I'm 48 by the way.

This is complicated by the fact that I also have ulcerative colitis.  This is usually pretty well-controlled and I've largely been in remission recently, but again coinciding with all the above, I've had some (mostly mild) symptoms over the last 3 months.  However, the pelvic pain seems to be something different, it's not in the area where I usually expect to have it when I have colitis symtoms.

I don't have any other classic pelvic disease symptoms - no bloating, nausea, difficulty urinating, fever etc.  My periods are not at all heavy.  I do usually have bad ovulation pain, although haven't noticed this recently, and usually painful first day of period - my most recent one seemed to be more painful than usual, but it did pass after a few hours. A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and although I don't really think I have anything like that, unexplained symptoms can always make you panic.  For various reasons I am unable to get to a doctor for a couple of weeks, so am feeling quite anxious.  Any ideas any one?  Could it be a uterine fibroid or endo?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Firstly let me say that you are in within the correct age group to be entering the menopause, and I would have thought that this would explain why your periods are starting to drop-off.

This in itself is a natural process and you should not worry about it, and many of the symptoms you complain of do also seem to be consistent with that part of your life having been reached.

As  for the pelvic and lower back pain this could also be consistent with the onset of the menopause, but should be checked-out by your doctor.

Rather than drive yourself silly with worry, why not contact your surgery, explain why you feel concerned and try to get an earlier appointment?

• Posted

I realise that I am at the correct age for perimenopause, and that's why I initially put most of the symptoms mentioned down to that, and I am not at all worried about that if it is indeed the cause of those symptoms.  However, the pelvic pain I am experiencing is not as far as I my research tells me, at all typical of perimenopause.  And my experience tells me that it is not anything to do with my colitis either.  The lightheadedness is also of some concern as it is not just dizzy spells, but almost constant lightheadedness and dizziness, which seems to worsen as the day goes on.  But I know it could be menopause-related.  It is the pain, very low down on the left side of my uterine area that really bothers me.

Unfortunately, as I said, I am not able to get to the doctor's for a couple of weeks (my own situation, not because I can't get an appointment), so wanted to know if this could be fibroids or endo, or something else.  Does anyone else have pain that sounds like this, or in this region?

• Posted

Hello again.

Light-headedness is also a symtom of the menopause, however as for the abdominal pain this could be associated with interstitial cystitis and pelvic adhesions. Two of the most common reasons for pain in that region are fibroids and vulvodynia/dyspareunia, but colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, and diverticular disease, may also be causes of pelvic pain.

Of course there may be other possible causes that will need the benefit of you being examined by your doctor.

There is little point at this stage in getting yourself worked-up and unnecessarily worried, as any worries you might have would be purely speculative and not based upon fact.

I do hope that you get to grips with this problem and return to good health quickly.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I am 99.9% certain I don't have vulvodynia, as I have none of the usual symptoms.  Same with interstitial cystitis - I'm having no urinary problems at all.  The main symptom is persistent low-level pain very low down in my groin on the left-hand side.  I do occasionally notice a sharp twinge (although not severe pain) when I cough, bend over or stretch.  I'm even beginning to wonder if it could be a hernia of some sort, although there is no lump there.  Or possibly a muscular or ligament problem.  I guess I will just have to wait until I can see the doctor.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has had a similar kind of pain, I'd be interested to hear if you know what is/was causing it.

• Posted

Hello, I too have lower left side annoying constant pain, it seems to be in the same location as yours, sometimes mine is in my lower left back too. I am 46 years old and my menstrual cycles are a little off, but mainly every month. The pain seems to bother me more during my period and for about a week after, then it dials down to about a 2 on the pain scale but always there.... I'm always aware of it. I've been to the doctors, gyno, urologist, ER, gastrointestinal doc, been thru a colonoscopy, two pelvic ultrasounds, blood tests, urine analysis, Ct scan.... all normal😳..... my internists thinks IBS C..... idk my poor husband has been so stressed out about this..... the only other thing I can think of is either endometriosis..... I've given up basically, it has put me into a depression that I am having a hard time snapping out of it... on one hand, I'm so happy there is nothing seriously wrong, i.e...cancer, dying.....but why this pain? I know how you feel and this sucks.... do yourself a favor and get those tests done, at least you'll know all your majors systems are working correctly.....and that's piece of mind.....good luck with everything and I truly hope you can find the source of your pain..... ??

• Posted

Hi I am experiencing familiar pains in my pelvis right on the crease sometimes it feels like a stinging pain but always there..i have also had back pain and feeling sick and dizzy..sometimes my pelvic pain goes to the other side aswell and I get some stabbing pains in my rib area and hips..i had this last year and they found nothing and then the symptoms went away now they are back again..di you find out what it was?
    • Posted

Im having the exact same thing. Were ypu able to find out the cause? I had a ct scan and nothing. Pain started in my flank area and now is giving me pain in my pelvic area both sides on and off.
  • Posted

Yes, I have a similar pain on my left side, low. I went to the doctor and because I also have hip pain, she sent me for X-rays. I thought, arthritis, but although I have a bit of arthritis, it wasn't the culprit.  I have bursitis. So. She gave me a steroid shot into the bursa in my hip.  This was not really pleasant, but it did the trick.  My hip pain almost disappeared, and the pain on my low left side got a lot better.  I plan on getting these shots every four months until the inflammation is gone.  

I see it has been quite awhile since you posted this; did you ever get any success in treating your pain?

• Posted

lve had lower hip and back pain on occassions for a long time, l thought it connected to having intersticial cystitus, another symptom of it when flared. Recently the pain has become more chronic, daily from waking, in fact by 5-6am l wake with nagging pain in lower hips, tracks under my butt into top of legs, sometimes with pressure pain in lower back, l began to wonder if the hip pain is athritus, but have also had adesions many years ago, so also wonder about nerve damage. l was thinking about asking doc for xray, but hadnt thought of bursitus, although l recall a bout of it in my knee a few year ago, but that was puffy with it, and didnt think you got it in hips or back.Wondered if you got any other symptoms along with it, tiredness dizziness, anyway will see what doc says. 
  • Posted

I was just diagnosed with fibroids inside and outside the uterus. I have a ton of hip pain that radiates down the leg and sometimes into the butt along with the pelvic pain near my right ovary. Most of my pain is on the right side. But I also have heavy periods that last long.

I actually had contractions and expelled a fibroid the size of a walnut. It was awful.

I do know that fibroids and endometriosis (suspected I had that too) could both cause pain in other areas, such as hip, depending on the location.

I hope you were checked out. I know this thread is old.

• Edited

Have you had your pelvis checked for being out of alignment ? It can cause muscle imbalance so your muscles get tight and short on one side and need stretching and strengthening .

I just seen a chiropractor and all my pelvis was twisted . I have pfd and prolspse issues but a weak core and pelvic floor defo contribute to things sagging down and less support to your hips and spine x

• Posted

Hi Yasminh14

These symptoms almost exactly mirror mine! UC, pelvic pressure as you described and hip tenderness.

Did you get a diagnosis or did this disappear of its own accord?

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi yasminh did you find an explanation to your pain? I'm perimenopause and in awful pain in my left pelvic area. And my lower back.

• Posted

Hi Willcity! I see you commented on a thread about pelvic pain 4 months ago and wondered if you have had some relief now or if you found out what was causing it. I am 48 years old and have been having a dull ache in my lower left pelvic area. It sometimes radiates lower towards the crease above my thigh. It's not really painful just sort of uncomfortable and I barely feel it while standing or walking. It really only bothers me when sitting or laying down. It also isn't constant..it comes and goes. I'm certain I'm going through perimenopause as I have other symptoms that mirror peri.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.