Hip problems at 27

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 27 years old living in the UK

When i was a baby i had clicky hips (not sure what proper word for this is) and when i reached 17 started doing healthcare work, lots on my feet & 12 hour shifts etc, from these shifts caused soreness in my right hip but nothing major. 2 years ago i began working at a hospital which is more fast paced on your feet alot etc (which i loved) october 2017 i collapsed in agony with my hip, couldnt walk, was admitted for 5 days on a ward on strong pain killers. Since then i was diagnosed with joint narrowing where the cartalidge in my hip socket has gone which is resulting in pain, in febuary i had a steroid injection to numb the area which only lasted for around 3 weeks. Which resulted back to lots of pain, went to my consultant who ive seen a few times, for him to say not going to do a hip replacement for 12 months due to my age i’ll review you in 4 months. Im now in agony & completely stuck on what to do. I suffer with depression & anxiety anyway & can feel it creeping in. Have spent the day in tears which is why im reaching out to see if anyone knows what i can do, tried hydro therapy it hurts. Seen my GP can only refer me back into the nhs to the same consultant, taking codeine 30mg naproxin 500mg & paracetamol,  And anti depressants. 

Any help i will be forever grateful

2 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Do you have a private hospital in your area. If so look for their free open evenings with an orthopaedic surgeon and go along for a chat. Bet if you were paying they would do it. Alternatively ask for a 2nd opinion and go see another consultant, hip surgeons are 2 a penny there are loads of them in your area.

    no need to suffer 

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Oh Nicola my heart goes out to you. I was born with a dislocated hip and my early childhood saw me in splints and then a frog leg plaster. Inevitably my hip never grew properly and at school it slipped out. I remember seeing a consultant, at your age, and coming out of clinic with two walking sticks and told to use them. I cried for days. In my 30s I had a femoral osteotomy when they broke my femur, twisted it and put it back into my hip socket with plates to stop it slipping out. That lasted 20 years. Then I had a total hip replacement ten years ago which has been fine ever since. My advice would be to go back to your GP and insist that you are sent for a second opinion. There are always different orthopaedic surgeons to be seen at any hospital. Check out your local hospital website or even one a little further from where you live. Yes you could pay for a private opinion but why should you? I wish you all the luck in the world – let us know how you get on. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thank you so much for your response, i went back to my gp yesterday & kicked up abit of a fuss, gp is going to write to consultant, ive wrote a formal complaint because of negligence due to my being in so much pain 6 months on & contacted a orphopedic surgeon in birmingham which is out of my county. Its frustrating i have to do so much work to live a normal life again, will keep you updated.

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up