Hip replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

On waiting list to have left hip done I am 49 a drama teacher used to being very fit and active now feel shattered all the time just had a power nap now at 11 am really worried about going back to school next week not sure to have the time off before the op as not sure when it will be saw consultant privately end of July he said about 18 weeks 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rosieru,I had a hip replaced 17 months ago, and you will definitely need time off after the op, they don't like you to drive for 6 weeks afterwards and you would find it difficult to work for 3-4 weeks afterwards.

are you taking painkillers now that make you tired? Pain is tiring, perhaps you should go and talk to your GP about it.

• Posted

I am taking naproxen and cocodamol when pain bad I realise I will need time off afterwards just worried about how I will cope at school before the op as finding it difficult to walk 
  • Posted

Good grief.....they make you wait that long?

Not clear......if so fit and active why a replacement?

• Posted

I meant I always was very fit til my hips gave up on me so I am finding it hard to come to terms with not being able to do very much any more as I am only 49 and working as a drama teacher full time it is very tiring 
    • Posted

Are you taking anything for pain in the meantime?
  • Posted

49 is young, and I understand how hard it must be for you, but it's hard at any age! 

You will feel much better when it's done, no pain and moving better. If you aren't well enough to work go back to your GP, he might be able to hurry things up for you. I think they do try to get the younger people through quicker to get them back to work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.