hip replacement

Posted , 30 users are following.

I am 28 years old and I am having full hip replacement within 3 month, after having 20 years of pain. I am terrified, worried and I feel sick, is anyone here had had hip replacement at "this age" please could anyone thought me trough I am getting depress and this last thing I want at the moment.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Hally my last op was 28/5/2013 so just over a wk ago yesterday I went had the dressing changed and the nurse said what a great job it was I'm very close to starting to walk with one stick within 4 wks after my first op I was off all walking sticks in 8 wks I was back driving my artic truck as I'm a HGV driver then after that I was waiting to go and have next op of which I welcome before these hip ops I'd never been to hospital ever in my life that's how I know what your feeling I was that bad on the day of op my blood pressure was sitting at 197/111 which in normal terms is heart attact pressure it was only white coat sindrome soon as they gave me the drug to put me out it dropped right back don't worry you will be laughing when you come back round you know nothing at all they will get you out off bed to stand on it within that day after op and you still feel no pain if they offer you a spinal block take it it will look after any pain you think you may have after op I had one on both ops but never had no pain and still don't to remember they won't give the spinal block until your put out so you don't even feel that one good luck with it all but your very young and I just know you will be just fine
    • Posted

thank you for your information it makes me  feel better I'm about to have thr and I am very nerves. I'v heard it is a very tough surgery.I'm working to get my mind set for it.

• Posted

Hi Hally, I went for my 12 week check up last Mon and everything's fine with my hip apart from a slight squeak every now and then lol as Ross9 says it'll change your life! They thought my left hip would need replaced too but at the minute I'm having very little pain with it, it might be because the pressure is off it, watch this space, if I do need it replaced i wouldn't be concerned about it in the least and anyone having second thoughts about going for the op I'd tell them to go for it, it's one of the best choices I've ever made :-)
  • Posted

Hi, I'm a 52 year old female ,I'm due to have a total left hip replacement on the 23/7/13. , & I have to say Hally I feel much the same as you.I know it's all for the best but I'm terrified. I had 4 operations when I was11/13 to rectify 2 slipped Capitol femoral epyphesis ,that where subsequently screwed & pinned. I thought this was it but now doing research find that as a result of this a THR is the ultimate outcome. I just wish I'd been told this earlier on in life, so that I could have prepared for it.

There are so many things to consider, the costs associated, time to recouporate etc,etc I live in the far north

Of QLD , Australia too so getting this sort of treatement is probably harder to find, but the saving grace is that despite the shortage of Dr's the ones we do have are the best in their field. Would really like to hear from someone else that has had a THR as a result of slipped epyphesis.

• Posted

Hi, I'm a 52 year old female ,I'm due to have a total left hip replacement on the 23/7/13. , & I have to say Hally I feel much the same as you.I know it's all for the best but I'm terrified. I had 4 operations when I was11/13 to rectify 2 slipped Capitol femoral epyphesis ,that where subsequently screwed & pinned. I thought this was it but now doing research find that as a result of this a THR is the ultimate outcome. I just wish I'd been told this earlier on in life, so that I could have prepared for it.

There are so many things to consider, the costs associated, time to recouporate etc,etc I live in the far north

Of QLD , Australia too so getting this sort of treatement is probably harder to find, but the saving grace is that despite the shortage of Dr's the ones we do have are the best in their field. Would really like to hear from someone else that has had a THR as a result of slipped epyphesis.

• Posted

Hi All,

I've started a discussion group on Facebook called "Total Hip Replacement Forum" please join it and add your experiences so we might be able to help others who have either had the procedure or are about to go through it. Please feel free to leave comments and add photo's if you have any. Ask your friends and family to join too and to share their side of the story, there will be people out there who's relatives or friends are about to have a hip replacement and are wondering what to expect and hopefully between us we can answer the questions that they are bound to have.

Cheers

Wilky (Iain)

• Posted

Hi I have had a bilateral hip replacement on the 4 dec and am now goin out for walks , but am getting worried if I am doin to much to soon or if it's ok and I am not sure on how much wait I can put on my hips and how soon does any one else know or is at where I am in their recovery , so I can see how far some one else has come. Thanks
  • Posted

Hi sorry I've been so long getting back to you I lost password I walk around the block. About 1/4 a mile each day for the first week then I used to. Catch a bus and walk around town. For the next couple of weeks I always pushed myself but is i never tried to over do it and within six weeks I was back driving my artic truck hope you have a speedy recovery
  • Posted

Hi Hally1,

Just joined the site so I'm a bit late with my reply.

I had my hip replacement at 27 after 18 years of pain. So I very much understand what you're going through. Since the age of 18 I was told I will need a hip replacement and around 4 years later the pain increased so much that every day life became a struggle. Still it took me further 5 years to mentally prepare and finally agree to the operation.

Have you had your operation in the end? If you did I hope your recovery goes well and you didn't regret it.

It's been 5 years for me and my operation was without a doubt a success. Majority of people cannot even imagine how lucky they are to walk without pain. It is just natural for them.

Today I joined the site with different purpose, searching for answer what's next. How pregnancy can affect my "new" hip and so on. But I felt compelled to write you as your case seem very similar to mine. I do hope you're well now and if you answer you will share good news of your recovery.

My very best wishes for you and everyone with similar situation.

• Posted

Hally, how is your hip now? I had a partial hip replacement 3 years ago. I fell and broke off the femoral head.

I was up am ambulating within a day and "no assistance" after 6 weeks. However, I have a hitch, after sittingI must stand for a few seconds to "align" before I move, when I walk it is not without pain. Climbing stairs is painful, slow. I'm 63 so, no spring chicken, but I can't believe this. I've been weight training and walking to strengthen, but the pain does not go away. No matter how strong your muscle's might be, if they are stabbed by pain, they seem to become worthless.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is normal. I'm beginning to believe it is not.

• Posted

Hi Gina, I am new to this site, just joined today, and read your very interesting comment. I am 56 and have been suffering from hip arthritis for over two years now. Although I do all the exercise stuff that I am supposed to do the pain is getting to the point where I am going to need to do something and I am loathed to go for a whole hip replacement. I have heard of stem cell but thought it was still in its infant stage and therefore no available as a treatment option. Could you let me know where you had this done and who referred you? Many thanks.
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I am very sorry for the late update on my Operation but I am up and running now.

Thank you very much for your support.

I had my hip done back in June 2013. However I had complication during and after operation due to the damage and very bad condition of my hip. I have spent 3 weeks at the hospital and needed to use the crutches for 3 months but, the it all worth it I am very happy with result. My left hip was 6 cm shorter that my right hip they manage to tham both same lenght. I do not have any pain since than. I am very glad that take the corage to get it done I would do it all over again.

Hi, ross9 thank you very much your comment helped me a lot itgive the push I need to it also helped me psychologically. I would like to talk you on facebook, if you have one please?

• Posted

Hi Wilky,

You was right when you said that I need to take it day by but, I had very very had time my operation take 6.5 hours instead of 1.5 hour. Nevertheless even that I had a lot of break dowm moments I would do it all over again.

Hally

• Posted

Hi Hally,

I was 29 years old when I had to have a total left hip replacement 17 years ago. The recovery for someone your age is pretty quick as long as you cover the bases with physio and exercise and non weight baring measures. I have had no problems at all and for the past 17 years it has given me a much better quality of life - I do get some aches and pains now - but as long as I keep exercising then I recover - I did exactly what the surgeon told me and I decided to give us weight baring exercises like running and playing tennis - I now swim, walk and use cross trainers in the gym and I also do Yoga and pilates. You will be fine - write all your questions down and make sure you have a pain management plan for your recovery for the first couple of weeks. Godo Luck and you will not regret it.

• Posted

Hi Hally,  I'm glad to hear things are in the up.  I had my first hip replacement at the age of 30, unforturnately for me the stem snapped within 18 months so I had revision surgery.  Due to the nature of my hip and bones I had to have a bone graft to secure the implant but this did not take so I have just had my third operation, second revision all within 5 years! I am now 4 weeks post op and the hip has never felt stronger.  Like you I am on crutches for 3 mths (partial weight) and have been advised it could take up to a year to recover.  It's nice to know there are other younger people who have gone through the same thing as me.  I wish you every success and hope recovery goes well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.