Hip Replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a hip replacement about 2 years ago. My left leg now is about 20cm longer than my righy leg. Is that a comman situation and is there anything legally I can do to take this dr to court for negligense?

My left knee is now busy packing up and I suffer a lot of pain.

4 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Correction it is not 20 cm but 2 cm differance.
    • Posted

I would arrange to get to see someone in the Physio Dept pronto as that does not sound too good. Yoir GP should refer you straight away if they realise what's happening to you..

Did you get decent Physio follow up after your op? If not then I would have a bit of a moan to the PALS Service even if it is 2 years on.

It may be as Susan says and something that is happening due to the 'difference' in the area around the replacement parts? However I'm not experienced with this in any way except to say get some expert advice ASAP.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

Are you sure it's a real difference in leg length (bones on one side shorter than the other) and not just due to your pelvis being twisted out of position due to muscle imbalance? The latter most definitely can happen (with or without a hip replacement op) and is fixable.

If it's a real difference in length I'm not sure what the situation would be. My guess is you wouldn't have comeback but you could try phoning up one of those medical negligence solicitors for advice. It wouldn't cost you anything.

• Posted

Hi, It's true, the left leg is exactly 19.7 mm longer than the right leg after the hip replacement on the lleft side. My question is, what will be a acceptable difference, 5 mm to 10 mm?

• Posted

Do ask and then request advice on what to do with your footwear to compensate, if that is what they think could help.
    • Posted

Thanx, I will look into it. provding my medical aid cater for that. But I will firstly go tihe Physio's see what they can do and then i will work down the suggestions, made by you and others.

• Posted

Use a candidate for hip,revisions you that the hip length is causing the pain. 
  • Posted

Hi

I had a left hip replacement last week.

I was warned prior to surgery that there is a risk of different leg length.

I was VERY shocked when I first stood up......my surgeon told me that operated leg is now 2cm longer than non-operated......but due to a pelvic tilt (caused by my body compensating for so long)....the difference is more like 3cm to 3.5 cm....I am walking around with one shoe on to try to help and a 2 1/2cm insert in my shoe......

I think physio will help plus a chiropractor can advise if it's a pelvis tilt and manipulate it.

It is a common problem and I would have thought the surgeon would have warned you?

I need my other hip doing so am not "over worried" yet.....plus I am told the operated hip will settle....but it all takes time ....you have had that time after 2 years.

Good luck ...

• Posted

H, Anything above 2cm is NOT normal and cannot be rectified. That is pure neglegance from the Dr's side. 

in my case, my leg is 2 cm longer than the other and I am in the process of sueing the Dr. for neglegance.

Bear in mind, the Dr's do got insurance for there mistakes. In the old days they barried the mistakes, nowadays we sue them for there mistakes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.