hip replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

ihad both tkr in 2011 and am now due a hip replacement but not only have i got the pain in the hip i now have severe pain in the knee on the same leg what is the cause of this

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hip problems I understand can refer pain to the knee and vice versa, especially if it affects your walking gait and mobility.

?The only solution is to go back and have an x-ray and other examinations to see what is going on.

I have hip pain since the TKR but they tell me it is due to walking badly, I'm not so sure as I have OA in several joints but I'm hoping to avoid more surgery for a while.

• Posted

Hi I'm told after numerous tests that the pain in my knee is referred pain coming from my hip, I still don't understand but I have had xray, MRI and nothing is found, I hope that once you have had your op it will clear up, are you icing your hip and knee that might help, I'm hoping others will come on and give you more advice, what has your consultant said

• Posted

I would guess that the hip being out of alignment is putting stress on the knee, do you have a date yet? If not I would try and push for an early date for hip op. You don't want to damge your knee or the bones connected to it.

• Posted

It's referred pain from the hip.  I had a lot of knee pain but just a bit in the hip.  Docs thought it was the knee but did an MRI of the hip WITH CONTRAST.  Showed that 30% of my hip was dead.  Knee was fine.

Had the hip done...4 days hospital...six days rehab joint and then I started my own rehab.  One day with a PT but six days a week, 5 hours a day in a therapy pool and gym.  Full and total recovery in six weeks...like it never happened.  Pushed the hell out of it...which you can't do with a knee.  Worked out great.

• Posted

How did you do gym with a back problem? That' my main problem, stops everything else.

• Posted

No back problems when I did the hip so it was full speed ahead.  Now is very different.

Laminectomy at L4/L5. Full TLIF fusion from L3 through S1.  Now an LLIF (lateral) fusion a few months ago for stenosis at L2/L3.  Fusions are a different animal.  Golfers who get fusion are forbidden to swing a club for at least six months so the bones fuse correctly.  My doc sternly warned me about my L2/L3 fix.  He said that if I weakened and blew out L1/L2, he'd have to fuse me completely from T9 through L2.  Don't want that.

Getting instructions from my PT about acceptable vs. forbidden exercises with a fused back.  No bending...no twisting or torquing the back.  Changes your workout routine so you stay safe.

• Posted

Don't I know it, been living with fusion 33 years. Laminectomy same level as you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.