Hip replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had both knees replaced and a revision and now I need both hips replaced . Does anyone on here had hip replacements? and what was your experience? I did both knees at the same time 4 years ago and wasnt any worse then doing my revision last year so I'm thinking to do both hips at the same time with my RA everything comes in two

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yup...10 years ago (2009) while my knee was only done in 2016. Tests showed that 30% of my hip was necrotic (bone dead) and that I needed a new hip immediately. Spent 3 days in the hospital on morphine and another week in rehab, also on some heavy drugs. I sorta remember people visiting me during my stay.

I went home, awake, and was determined to push my recovery. Luckily, my PT was located in my gym only a mile from my house so I disobeyed my docs and drove myself there and back. My daughter is a graduate nutritionist and personal trainer certified by the American College of Sports Medicine. The confluence of her skills with the fact that my gym also had a THERAPY POOL, gave me a leg up on everyone else.

Kate came down and spent a whole afternoon showing me my exercises and pushing me to my limit. With that knowledge in hand, I was at the gym for five hours a day, six days a week. A very short six weeks later, I went back to work with no walking aids, no drugs and zero pain. What made me do this was a conversation with another gentleman waiting with his cane for his PT session. I asked him how long it had been since his surgery and he said: "A year". I resolved that I would NOT follow in his footsteps.

So... Six weeks of determined, intensive rehab and the hip was done. The pool work was critical to my success as was the focus on five hours a day of work. Yes, it can be done and it's a good thing that you can push a hip whereas you cannot push a knee...which led me to very unrealistic expectations about my knee recovery time. In your case, after having done knees, the hip should be a lot easier if you focus and do the work. Gotta do all the leg, hip and core exercises to get all your strength back after they've cut the quads to put in the hip. (Note: That may or may not be true today but it was nine years ago.) In any case, leg curls and extensions plus glute and hip flexor work will go a long way to rebuilding the surrounding musculature.

Good luck...

• Posted

thank you ! I was back at work in 6 weeks after bilateral knee replacement and you sound like an overachiever like I am and I agree I refuse to be on painmeds and believe in exercise and a healthy diet

• Posted

I guess I am an overachiever when it comes to rehab work. Two shoulders, the hip, four knee scopes, two spine fusions... I always pushed the envelope and got it done in one-third to one-half the expected time. That's why I got blindsided by the knee. Thought I'd be playing a gig with my band the next weekend...yeah, right. I was drooling on my pajamas for at least a month! The knee was slow and hard...

Just remember that my hip story is just me...you can hope for it but not expect it. Personally, I think you'll kick its butt once you get past the hospital and rehab (10 days post-op). Then it's up to you but know that the hip can be pushed unlike the knee.

Good luck.

• Posted

i also have RA had both knees done, but not at same time had tlhr last year and am 10 days out with trhr . i dont think i could do both at same time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.