Hip replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am due to have a hip replacement later this week followed bu a second one in the new year. I have had to discontinue my anti inflammatory drugs pre operatively. The pain is off the scale and o can barely walk. Has anyone had this experience.

Wendy

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi may I ask your age I've got moderate osteoarthritis in my hips I am in a lot of pain I am 31

sometimes I struggle to walk and some days I am fine

I've been referred to a physiotherapist

• Posted

HI Gemma I am 68 but i have a much younger outlook. I am sorry you are suffering hip osteo at such a young age. I have had the condition for about ten years and have been on Diclofenac for much of that time which has masked the severity. You really need to push for orthopaedic referral when i finally got mine the surgeon was apalled by my hip xr. The cartilage is non existent on both hips and i have bone spurs. At your age your condition needs monitoring and not allowed to get to the degree mine has because it steals your life. Physio has its part but is not the answer.

• Posted

I am in a lot of pain my gp not prescribed me with anything just told me to suffer I have gallstone multiple also so you can imagine I am in a lot of pain 😦 hope everything looks ok for you

• Posted

hello im 33 and had my hip replacement last august. yes i had to come off my naproxen which is another anti-inflamatory and it wasn't pleasant. i used hot water bottles, baths and my other pain killers. is it 72 hours before op?

the hip replacement was a huge success! xx

• Posted

HI Lindsey i am pleased your op was successful you ate young for this. Osteoarthritis is an awful thing and so often just dismissed.

• Posted

Is it usual to discontinue anti-inflammatories before a hip operation? I follow a forum for Polymyalgia patients, almost all of whom take prednisone, and they are not taken off the medication. Some doctors are more concerned than others because of the post-op healing and like the dose reduced. On the other hand if you are in too much pain to maintain your fitness (such as it is 😉 ) or do the post op physio, it seems totally counterproductive to prevent you from feeling the best you can.

• Posted

And NSAIDS may contribute to bleeding. But surely there are other medications you could be allowed short term?

• Posted

I think it was from the bleeding aspect which i totally understand however the level pf pain and poor mobility is worrying with regard to post op recovery and physio.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.