hip replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am nearly 14 weeks from hip replacement and since last week can do all my exercise walk up down stairs but sit down and get up I get a very very serious pain from groin to knee and it is hard to stand but after a few minutes start walking and it goes off can catch me now and again any one else have same

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alan.....You seem to be doing great! No limping?...I get pain too while walking . Everytime from sitting, lying to standing it starts stiff...Sometimes while walking it feels like a sharp pain in front of thigh going down n groin pain too....Sometimes I feel like leg will break.

• Posted

thanks for that lest I now it not just me hope you are doing ok and get better soon

• Posted

I had what is called "start-up pain" for quite some time. After being seated, when I stood up it took me a little while to be able to start walking. I am a few years past that time, but I remember it well!

• Posted

I'm nearly 6 months post op and just starting to be pain free. I've never had any pain from the replacement JOINT itself, maybe a little from where the upper leg bone was cut to fit the ball section.

My main pain areas were initially from the upper leg just below the groin and for a short time at about 4 months post op, a pain that radiated from just below to just above the knee, it felt Ike nerve pain when I bent the knee maybe 45* or more.

I was also getting thigh pain in the last 9 holes when playing golf but I think that was related to me taking Ticagrelor due to having a heart attack in May'19, I was able to go off it late May'20 as it's a anti-platelet drug that had to be taken for 12 months because I required 3 stents in my heart.

ALL GOOD NOW, YOU JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT, muscles and nerves were probably cut and these TAKE TIME TO REPAIR.

All the best.

• Posted

Kenmar may I ask what kind of hip surgery did you have?

• Posted

LTHR done the posterior way. From all of his research and multiple THR, my surgeon still prefers the POSTERIOR method. He always said to me, the posterior method has a bigger cut and more disruption to the muscles and nerves and recovery is generally slightly longer, but it's the tried and tested method that at this stage, he prefers.

• Posted

kenmar were you given precautions to follow for the rest of your life?

I'm not suppose to bend down at all..cant twist at hip...cross my legs ..

bc he said there was a 3 % dislocation risk....

• Posted

I was told to be very careful for the first 6 weeks post op, not to move leg inwards past half way or cross my legs.

After 6 weeks, chance of dis-location was only about 4% which wasn't worth worrying about.

Now 5 1/2 months post op, I really feel I can do anything without pain and risk.

I'm nearly 66 yo and playing golf 2 to 3 times a week with a 2-6 h'cap, I feel that playing golf subjects the left hip to stresses and rotation far greater than anything I do around home.

• Posted

May I ask why you had a THR?

I fell n fractured my hip...the ball part n had a posterior cemented partial replacement...Do you think that places a factor in the precautions that were put on me for life????

• Posted

I had LTHR as the hip ball and socket were basically bone on bone, had been very painful.

Even though my surgeon said it wasn't a typical golfers injury, I suspect playing golf for nearly 50 years was a big factor.

I was fairly fit and reasonably strong especially around the upper legs from playing sport for years, that maybe why I wasn't given special precautions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.