Hip replacement anxiety

Posted , 19 users are following.

Anxiety just getting worse cannot eat drink properly so been to the docs for something to calm me , did anyone else need medication??? I feel such a failure.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Mary I was exactly the same. I also had to go to the doctors and got anti depressants which helped take the knot in my stomach away. I had a bi lateral hip replacement on the 19th January and haven't looked back. My surgeon and anaesthetist were wonderful as were all the nursing staff. You will be absolutely fine keep thinking of the end result no dreadful pain. I have just been for a short walk with no pain it is the best freeling.

All the very best.

Ann x

• Posted

It's something we all go thru. When it's complete and thru to complete recovery you' lol be glad you did no pain and a better quality of life. Take it all slow and easy ,

good luck!

Hopexxx

• Posted

Mary you are not a failure. Like you i was anxious prior to op abd at one point was going ti cancel it. 14 weeks on I am so grateful to the surgeons for giving me my life back. Please maybe have a discussion with the consultant who will do your op as you may feel reassured after a conversation. You are not alone - there are always people on this site who can hopefully offer reassurance. Good luck x
    • Posted

thank you I will continue to post on the site.
    • Posted

You're not a failure, it's very natural to feel worried about the whole thing. I hated the thought of not being able to do much after the op, and being in pain. But the hospital was great, they were so kind, I was lucky and had no pain, just a bit achy, and when you leave hospital you have good meds. They teach you how to manage the stairs and get mobile on your crutches. The first few days are hard, and I found the nights were pretty rubbish, but the grinding bone on bone pain disappears immediately, and that's a great feeling! All the best.

• Posted

Hi Mary,your not a failure. please please just take a day at a time.This op is a major operation & we are all different.I would get all the help you can get.regards Amanda

• Posted

Mary, I do understand your anxiety. Pretty much everyone has some. That doesn't mean you are a failure. But you must look after yourself coming up to this surgery. Eating and drinking well are really important in making sure you are fit and healthy - and make it easier for you to recover. This is the time to treat yourself and you are allowed to coddle yourself. My physio told me that from now until 6 weeks after the op, all food had nil calaries, so enjoy anything I wanted! So just now, all those naughty treats - you are allowed them!

• Posted

Hi Mary

The week before my op I was in a terrible state and as they wheeled me down to the theatre I cried all the way and in the pre med room! The staff were so kind and all my worries about needles and anaesthetic melted away it was fine really. I don't care who knows how I felt it's a big op and there are no prizes for bravery. The first two weeks out are tough but with meds etc you get through it. Getting comfortable is difficult but each week gets better. We've all been there and now we are here for you.

Julie x

• Posted

Hi Mary , hey you are not a failure, I am waiting for the 23/2 and having a lot of anxiety even after 3 hip revisions, I was put on cipramil to help me, good luck
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

Most of us were anxious prior to the first THR.  That's normal as it is a big surgery.  Having said that, you will be pleasantly surprised after the surgery.  Your hip joint will no longer hurt and you will be on the mendsmile  Yes there are a few irritating things that you MIGHT comes accross like having to learn to sleep on your back for a few weeks and having to go through the PT, but overall it's nothing compared with what you are dealing with now.  I promisesmile 

• Posted

I learned from psychotherapy that thoughts precede and create feelings.  If you are running negative thoughts in your head all day the result will be anxiety and depression

Solution:  Be very aware of and monitor your thoughts.  When you start on a bad roll, stop.  Write down what the fear is (I will die during surgery, for example) then write a counter argument (almost no one dies from this, there will be 10 people in the operating room watching me, my body can take care of itself, etc etc).  Do this with each fear. You are essentially taking control, substituting irrational thoughts with rational ones and developing a new narrative.  See cognitive behavior modification for more info.

Some guided relaxation meditation (for anxiety or whatever) can be found on youtube.  Do this before you go to sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.