Hip Replacement at the Age of 21

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, 

I would like to know peoples stories about hip replacements. When I was 8 I had an operation on my right hip which failed causing the bone to crumble, I have now been told my only way for a better quality of life will be a hip replacement. I am very nervous as I have had a bad experience due to seeing the outcome and the problems my father has had with his hip replacement. Any advice would be great bearing in mind I’m terrified of needles. Thanks 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had a total hip replacement in 2016.

My transformation has been amazing.

I went skiing a year after the op. My hip hasn’t felt this strong for decades!

I had a disease which affected my femur aged 9-10, had an operation, then just got on with life for 30 years.

But the pain got worse, so bad it affected my sleep. Walking could be painful and on a bad day, going further than 100m would seem impossible.

My hip replacement totally changed all that.

I am more active than ever.

Do your own research, inform yourself, and find a surgeon and team you are confident about.

Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi CRM! 

I had a total hip replacement at age 20 due to severe hip dysplasia. I was out of options and in extreme pain with bone grinding on bone. Doctors told me the same thing. My quality of life really wasn't great and I was missing out on so much because of my pain and limitations. Honestly, it was one of the best things I've ever done. Obviously, the post-surgical pain was real, but the daily pain I was in before was instantly gone! The recovery and physical therapy were not bad. The surgery was at the end of June and I was able to return to college in mid August on crutches. Technology has come so far! I am 8 years post hip replacement and have some arthritis pain but am able to go and do and am functioning well at 8 months pregnant! You're young and if you're in good shape, I don't doubt you will have no problem bouncing back from a hip replacement. I do know it gave me my life back! We celebrate my "Hipaversary" every year with a cake because it was such a significant turning point in my life. I'm praying you will have clarity on what to do! (The only needle involved is the one to start your IV - you've got this!) ; )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.