Hip Replacement Complete!

Posted , 17 users are following.

Well everyone, I had my hip replaced yesterday (4/5/2016) and all would seem good.  After my last post I kind of dropped off the forum as I was constantly trying to convince myself that I was making a mistake and that I should be trying to delay things until I could no longer walk / function. However I just focused on the reasons I was doing it and my family and friends were great in reminding me how much I have struggled for the last 4 years. What also didn't help was that my pain levels dropped off in the week before surgery. I told my surgeon this on the day and he assured me it was mind over matter... or something to that effect!

​The day of surgery wasnt great as I had to be in at 7:30 and surgery was at 13:00 which was a long time to be sat with my thoughts. So much so when my surgeon came round I found myself quite emotional which I didnt expect. Anyway he talked me through things and assured me this was the right course of action as the x-rays showed my hip to be in a terrible state and he actually came in to the recovery area and told me the joint was in a dire state. So I am happy I made the right decision!

​I managed to get through the first night with the help of some super strong morphine and, unfortunately, the dreaded catheter was required! Today I have seen a multitude of people.  The main shock to the system was being sat up and made to take a few steps with the zimmer frame and finding my leg weak and unresponsive.  I can see a long road to recovery ahead of me, but what is life without its challenges?

My aim is to be able to go to Muncih in 4 months time for the Octoberfest and maybe, just maybe, be back on the golf course again!

David.

7 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi David, great to hear your story and it really helps people like me who are still waiting for the operation.

You'll know laready from this forum, that it doesn't get better and better each day, everyone goes through peaks and troughs of feeling better then worse, so stick with your positive frame of mind and think "get better" on a weekly basis, ignore the odd day when you feel down.

Sounds like you were in pain, and in my book that's the time to get it done. Look forward to your souvenir stein from the beerfest !

Best Wishes,

Mark (51 yr old, UK)

• Posted

Hi David great to hear you have had your op and feeling positive about the future. Don't worry about the emotions they are just part of the roller coaster you are on.

Positive note I am nearly 8 weeks post op can walk without any aid totally pain free and returned to work yesterday. I have suffered osteo arthritis for years and this op is the best thing I have ever done although there were times in the early weeks I questioned why I had put myself through it.

The 1st couple of weeks are challenging but each day you will see an improvement. Do your exercises abide by the restrictions if you have any and you will be in Munich before you know it.

Wishing you the best on your recovery

Sue x

• Posted

Thanks sue,

​Thats great that you have managed to get back to work so soon and are walking unaided.  I'll be delighted if I make similar progress. I feel stronger again today and getting in and out of bed (still superised) is so much easier and less painful smile

​I believe they are going to have me dressing myself today and have me up and about in the ward today. Cant wait smile

• Posted

Hi Favid keep positive I to waited a long time before giving in to this total hip replacement and it is a long recovery but I am so much better than I was even a few weeks ago. I am at seven weeks post op now . Still having aot of pain the surgery is really ra rough one and it's going to take time for your body to recover. I've had more thigh psin from the tourniquet they use in your upper leg during surgery you have to get all those muscles working again. I am walking around the block with my cane and holding my hubbys hand every evening and sticking with the PT even though it is uncomfortable . Can't get in a position to sleep which makes for long days if you need someone to talk to snytime day or night I like everyone else will be here for you hun😊
    • Posted

Thanks Senora.  I hadnt even thought about the tourniquet. That makes the reasons for some of this pain a bit clearer.

​Im telling folk that it feels like I have been kicked in the butt by a highland coo!  smile

• Posted

Hey David

Well done for getting through it now the next few week will be hard your operated leg will feel like it weighs a tonne it will be so heavy feeling compaired to the other but you will find everyday it gets easier and less painful. Painkillers are key at the moment make sure you keep on top of the pain as my surgeon said to me the day after the op don't try to be a hero first signs of any pain get painkillers. By day 3 l was able to get out my bed and go to toilet in my own it was hard but l was determined. The physio spent time with me twice a day walking me up and down the corrider he took the zimmer of me and learned me to walk with sticks. So when l was in my room alone l would get out bed and practice the excercises he had given me and finally l done the stairs and l got the all clear to get home.

I have to say l was 42 at the time and nurses were saying the same to me that your quite young to be having hip replacements.....but l am not afrer finding this forum there is a lot of younger folk than us getting them.

My recovery went great for my 1st one l was not using any aids to walk as soon as l got home l just practiced walking around the house doing my pt exercises. By week 4 l felt ready to drive again but l hsd to get my other hip done as soon as l felt ready and l felt ready at 4 weeks. I felt my other leg was holding me back as l still had OA pain in it. So as soon as l could l was in for my 2nd hip replacement.. so l had one in december and has a few weeks of driving and feeling lke my operated leg had became so stong.....stonger than my other leg. So feb 15th l had 2nd hip replacement l new what to expect and it did go as well as the first infact l felt it a bit easier. I got iut hospital a day less than 1st one. Now 9 weeks on l don't walk. 😮with any aids l can drive again infact l just drove from scotland to york and back. But its been hard as l have had 2 done in such a small space of time.

No OA pain though and best thing l have done. I do still suffer from backache and if l do to much my body is quick on telling me.. i have good and bad weeks but what l have got to remember is what my body has been through and is still going through. But worth it all. I just think its taking me a bit longer to fully recover because l have both done. But with one l think you have a better chance of a quick recovery.

Hope you do great well done in making right decition thats you done. It 😆

Laura

• Posted

Hi Laura,

​That is amazing that you have had both hips done and are making such good progress.  I know my left is bone on bone but right now its not bothering me, so maybe it can be left a bit longer.  However you have certainly made me feel positive that if it needs done then the second time around will be a little easier due to knowing what to expect.  Thats what my surgeon said as well.

​David.

• Posted

Fantastic news David, most of us have lots of different emotions, but when those weeks pass and you do things you haven't been able to for awhile it is liberating, stick with it and take your pain meds when needed.
  • Posted

It's a GREAT idea to have goals, David - well done! My son is the one who had LTHR 8 weeks ago. Unfortunately, the right side will need to be done, too. Best to you.

I learn more words on this forum. What you call "zimmer frame" is what we call a "walker". LOL

• Posted

Day 3 Post Op and I am being discharged!  Very happy and apprehensive at the same time.  I know I will manage fine though.

​David.

• Posted

Oh David, don't be embarrassed about the meltdowns. I've had several in the hospital and one at home this morning in the shower. I think it is all part of the process. This surgery will teach us a lot about our endurance, our courage, our strength and hopefully, we will come out the other side with a better understanding of people with disabilities. Imagine dealing with these handicaps every single day for the rest of your life? Sigh. Really puts things into perspective for me. So hang in there and continue to share. Your post really helped me this morning. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Montyjam,

​I'm glad my post helped smile How is your post op going?

Its funny I was thinking just yesterday what it woud be like to have these restrictions everyday for the rest of my life and I feel grateful for what I have in life, dodgy joints and all.

​One positive for the day is that I looked at posture in the mirror this morning and I no longer have the extreme curve in my lower back / lumber area I used to have. I've had that as long as I remember!

​David

• Posted

Hi David - how are things going now you are home ? I hope all is good xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.