Hip replacement haematoma

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been reading all these experiences people have had with hip replacement. Has anyone gotten a haematoma? I am 2 weeks out from my surgery. I saw my Dr yesterday because I did not know what this Hugh swelling on my hip was. He said it was a haematoma like it was nothing. He mentioned possibly a surgery  for it, but really didn't want to do that. It may not be a big deal to him, but it is to me. It looks like a deformady. How am I to fit into my clothes? I am icing and using heat 4times a day, and massaging. Does anyone else have this problem? How fast does this take to get back to normal size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pat,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Haematoma is a long word for bruising I think. Perfectly natural and it will probably disperse, given time.

I understand how you must be feeling about this "thing".

Applying ice packs is definitely a good idea.

Try not to worry,

Hugs,

Shirley

• Posted

I'm not defending your doctor but he may have thrown out "hematoma" casually because he sees so much of it.  Swelling and bruising (hematoma) after this kind of surgery isn't unusual but it's distressing if you're going through it.  Doctors don't realize that these things are new to US, even if it's not new to them.  All these new things are scary (they have been for me, anyway), that's why this forum has been such a big help to me.  Icing and elevating for swelling and bruising are what you can do for now.  I still had some after 2 weeks so it's early days for you yet.  Everybody heals at a different rate.  For some people, the swelling goes down quickly, for others, it takes longer.  I wore really loose clothing the first 4 weeks.  I'm still wearing somewhat loose clothing - not back into my normal wardrobe. (at 7 weeks)  Give yourself a little more time. Hugs!
  • Posted

Hi again,

Just looked it up and it is a collection of blood , usually after an operation or injury. Yes, sometimes a haematoma will need to be drained, so keep that in mind. Maybe your doctor is one of the "wait and see" School of Medicine?

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. It probably is to early to be expecting this big swelling to go down. I go to therapy on Tuesday. Maybe they can give me some help on some things I can do to move it along. I'm very impatient and don't handle a "Wait and see" attitude very well. Thanks again.
    • Posted

I think this recovery is difficult for those of us who are impatient.  I am, too!  I forgot to ask, did you have a drain after your surgery.  I had a big ol' tube coming out of my incision draining off blood and whatever else (I didn't want to inquire too much).  If I hadn't had the drain, I think the swelling and bruising would have been worse.  Check with your physical therapist and hang in there.
    • Posted

No, no drain. I think that should have been used. I've had other surgeries where a drain was used and I had no problems. I think it depends on th Dr.

Too bad they don't ask us for our opinion. I think it's a God like attitude.

• Posted

I hear God thinks He's a doctor.  Ok, that's not meant to be sacrilegious, folks.  Please don't take it amiss.  My physicial therapist told me that surgeons are the worst when it comes to ego.  

If you didn't have a drain that could explain the swelling and large hematoma.  It's too bad they didn't put one in for you.  It will go down, it's just going to take longer than if you had a drain. That's probably small comfort right now but keep hanging on. 

• Posted

Hi linda.

I love your line "God thinks he's a doctor"

That has made me laugh and that is saying something when you have a new hip.

I know one or two doctors that this really fits.

How is the haematoma?

• Posted

The haematoma is still as big as ever and somewhat hard. I measured my hip where the largest part is last Monday and will continue to measure each Monday. If there is no change by December, I know a Dr who be scheduling a surgery date to fix this "extra" hip. His mistake, his fix! It's amazing how many people have not said they had the same thing, or they knew someone who had it. Am I the only one? 
  • Posted

Hi Pat, I know you posted this a year ago but my physio thinks I have a haemotoma too, and says I must get it checked out by the surgeon.

May I ask what happened with yours? I too thought I had a completely disformed operated hip at 5 weeks (today) as I'm walking really really well and really straight for the first time in years, but I'm in so much pain and it looks completely different to my non operated hip! My surgeon is away so I went and asked the physio what she thought.

What happened to yours? Was it successfully removed? Did you have to have surgery?

Thank you...

• Posted

While this was posted over a year ago - someone might be reading just to get info.  I am 9 days post-op and the swelling I had was beyond what I would have expected.  6 pounds of swelling and I told everyone my thigh looked like a prize-winning watermelon.  I know exactly what you meant abut clothes fitting and because mine swelled quickly (still in hospital) it hurt like a _____ when I tried to put my pants on (I switched to nylon pants and all was well).  For me, the major swelling lasted about 5 days.

Good luck to all the new hippies reading this.

• Posted

I had a total revision to an old hip replacement.  I too have a huge hematoma.  There was no drain.  I am going to surmise that no drain cuts down on infection.  The wound bandage totally sealed off the area.  I am at 5 weeks...my surgery was extensive.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.