Hip replacement in 7 days what painkillers for after is best on morphine. Cocodamal. And amotriptal

Posted , 17 users are following.

I will have my operation in 7 days. On morphine. Cocodamal and amotriptalin now. What is best post operation

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Catherine I am really surprised to read comments that some patients didn't need pain relief post op. It is certainly not the norm so I think you should expect to experience pain to some degree. I was given a slow release morphine tablet at night and Codeine and Paracetamol during the day together with a blood thinning tablet. Now 3 weeks post op and pain reduced a lot along with meds. Good luck

• Posted

It really is between you and you’re medical team and how much pain you are in post op. Each surgeon may prescribe different things at different times and should consider your medical history re allergies etc

I was on the generic cocodomal before the op. Had a femoral nerve block before the GA wore off(I opted for GA rather than a spinal). Oramorph for the first two days in hospital, the back to cocodamol for discharge. Only needed them for a week

it is a very brutal operation but for many people the pain preop is totally different from the post op surgical pain and far less intense after the first 24-36 hours or so.

The important thing is to communicate with the nurses, doctors and physios so that they can give you extra help if needed

• Posted

I had very little pain..got out of bed that day...had to go up 3 flights of steps the next day with no problems...yes it is a big surgery but all I have talked too experienced very little pain...prayers your goes great as well..keep us posted
  • Posted

I'm sorry, I am with some of the others.  You are on waaayy too many meds.  I had both hips replaced at the same time.  I was on Tramadol for pain, then Naproxin.  I was back to work in 5 weeks.  Am I sore? you bet!  But not in excruiating pain that requires Morphine. yikes

• Posted

I fractured my pelvis and hip two years ago, because of some problems I didn't have surgery, I had cocodamol 8/500 2/3 times daily and on a day when I slipped trying to go loo and had 2 X 30/500 which completely knocked me out, I had these for one week and then cut back to as and when, I think it's all down to your personal pain threshold, mine is very high, just don't suffer unessasarily, they have new slow release patches now that they say are better than tablets, can't comment as never had them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.