Hip replacement infection but no pain at all

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone I had a total hip replacement in the fall of 2016 when they were taking out the stitches they discovered it was infected I had a debridement and was on a PICC line for 8 weeks followed by antibiotic drugs a few weeks later it started to hurt again and it was discovered that I had an infection had returned but through pain management therapy the pain is all but dissipated for the last 3 months I'm walking and functionally normally but the doctor wanted to check and I had an aspiration a week ago I got the results and they discovered that it is still infected and now he wants to do the 2 page process putting in the spacer and then getting the new hip but since I'm fully functional with light pain meds I'm really resistant and doing it what are your thoughts

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Golf

Sorry to hear about the infection. In my thoughts & prayers. God bless.💙

TC Vickie

• Posted

Long term an infection that keeps recurring could do considerable damage including, as I understand, make revision more difficult. Ask them what the infecting bacteria is and then research treatment for that type of infection in replaced hips. That may give you some more information in making your decision.

Best of luck

• Posted

dear Maggie,

so great to have you here on the forum -

thank you so much

big warm hug

• Posted

Dear Maggie

I agree with you that this infection needs to be sorted once and for all ASAP even if it sets the OP back to square one. Very interesting to read what Michael has had to say about this.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm sitting in bed having just had the second stage.

I had the spacer for 4 months so was partial weight bearing. I was a.lot more mobile than I had expected and didn't have a lot of pain though some exercises were a bit painful especially in the first two weeks.

After stage 2 I have no pain to speak of. They took my epidural out yesterday. I had a little walk which was fine. Unfortunately that started my wound bleeding so now I'm waiting for the ok to get up again.

So rather longer than I thought but not as painful.

Hope your experience is good too.

Mike

• Posted

hi michael, 

good to hear from you and how well you are doing ... 

please keep us updated !

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

hi golf, 

so sorry to hear about this ... 

I am going with Maggies response ... 

we are being  warned about any infections post-op THR and especially in hip ...

of course it is daunting to have another surgery and start anew ... but what is the alternative ?

please keep us posted on how you are doing

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear about your infection. Im at the moment receiving treatment for infection following my 4th hip revision. It was introduced post operation from a needle aspiration. I really dont want to go into my whole sorry story because it is so extreme, but its all on my previous posts if you want to know! However my consultant has put me on a course antibiotics of IV Teicoplanin 800 mg via a Hickman line and orally Rifampicin 1200 mg [ however I have reduced this amout consierably because if the side effects] I had 2 wash outs as soon as it became clear I had been infected. He seems reasonably confident that if my CRP blood levels come down and stay that way I may avoid a revision.However I would have to stay on a low dose of oral anti biotics. He says he has many patients who have successful outcomes from this treatment, Are you in the UK ? Good luck with everything

Best wishes Patsy X

• Posted

Patsy

Sounds like you have had quite a lengthy saga with your hip.

I'm at the Nuffield on Oxford but initial diagnosis was at the Royal Berks where they did discuss the non operating option. I imagine it depends on your doctor and your case what they recommend. The 4 months without a proper joint were a nuisance bit I think I'm on the home straight now and hope you are too

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.