Hip Replacement - muscle not re-attached

Posted , 28 users are following.

Had a total hip replacement done in Jan 2014 - not sure whether its a fault of the surgery or my body not doing what it should have but the muscle that was cut through has not re-attached at all.  As a result of this I struggle to walk very far as there is no muscle strength to rely on which means I am worse off than before the surgery.  I have worked really hard to strenthen my core muscles to compensate but it hasn't helped.  Has anyone else had the same problem?

4 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I have an appointment next week for my GP to see if he will refer me back to my consultant, as I also cannot walk very far without being really achy and tight I had my THL June 15. Reading your blog makes me wonder if anything is wrong though I can put my weight on my operated leg but it's sore.

Will get back re outcome if any.

Hope you get on okay 

Regards Lorna

• Posted

Would be really interested to hear how you get on Lorna, the hospital have confirmed that my muscle hasn't re-attached but have been very careful with the way they have worded it, at present it is not clear whether its just something my body hasn;t done or the surgeon has not done.  Good luck with you appointment x

• Posted

Thanks Helen sure hope it's not that because I am fed up with it I am 69

Lorna

• Posted

What approach did you have done?
    • Posted

Hi Snowgirl79 - not sure what approach means, is this whether they went behind the muscle or cut through the middle? 

• Posted

Approach means where they cut you from...

I'm getting the direct anterior approach,which means it will be from the front right over the hip bone. Posterior means from the back...there's a couple of other ...I think, but I'm not sure

• Posted

Add me to the list people with BHR / revision to THR because my gluteus medias and gluteus minimus muscles never healed. Took me 3 YEARS to find a doctor who knew what was wrong. Problem is - it's been 9 months since my revision and I think I'm in the same place I was before the revision. Still can't go up the stair with that leg or walk very far or stand on it with any strength/balance. Been thinking for awhile that it's my body doing it - like some type of connective tissue disorder? I say that because i had to have hand surgery on my sagital band 5 months ago (hit my hand on a door and it tore from the tendon that runs over my knuckle) - and that has not healed either. Not sure where to go from here - just want my life (and leg and hand) back.
    • Posted

Sorry for you bad outcome, AnnieCole. What does BHR mean? I assume your surgeon repaired your gluteus medius and minimus during the surgery? It is possible that he repaired them and they didn't heal or were injured again post-surgery? I will have to wear a brace to limit movement and be only toe-touch with the surgical leg for many weeks to try to allow the tissues to heal and prevent re-injury. 
    • Posted

BHR - Birmingham Hip Resurfacing. Yes, my surgeon repaired the glutes but I honestly feel that they came loose again (and that its my body rejecting the repair). I was on 6 weeks no weight bearing after the revision as well but I don't think it was enough. No idea what type of Doctor I need to see to try to fix this.
    • Posted

Mine will be done by an orthopedic surgeon, and one of his specialties is gluteal tendon repair. The hardest part is finding a surgeon who is experienced in diagnosing and doing this kind of repair.

How wrenching it must be for you to go through this surgical failure. I am resigned to the idea that my repair may not work either, and one of the questions I'm going to ask my surgeon when I see him to set the date for surgery is how successful the surgery usually is. The tissues are fairly delicate and can easily be torn, even with normal activity. If the tissues have been torn for a considerable amount of time before surgery, then it is even more difficult for them to heal after surgery.

I hope you can find proper medical help to get this resolved.

• Posted

Hi Helen, well u r definitely not alone. My hip was replaced in 2007 and I started having problems in 2012. My surgeon said it was my ITB band and sent me for PT several times. I finally found a new Dr and discovered that I had metal Ions in my blood and that my replacement was a metal on metal and the metal was coming off. This was corrected with a new ball but I dislocated 3 times and back in for insertion of a constrainer to keep me from dislocation. This is when I discovered that my muscle could not be reattached. Now I an having problems with fluid buildup. Working on that issue now and trying to find out what is causing it.
    • Posted

MzB2U, that all sounds dreadful. So sorry! Hope your doctors can help you.
  • Posted

I had my total hip replacement done in October 2016 and I am repeating your story.  Can you tell me how you are doing?  Was anything done to repair the problem?  I can only walk with a cane and weight bearing is always painful.  I hope you have found some resolution and that you are  doing well now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.