Hip replacement ongoing nightmare

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi folks, I’m a newbie to this forum and would like to share my experience. It will be three years this July since I had my left hip replaced at The Royal Orthopaedic in Birmingham. The consultant who replaced my right hip (two years previous) agreed to replace my left as it was in a bad way. When I woke from the surgery I found out that his registrar had done the op. My consultant claimed he had opened the hip and closed it. After a few days the intense pain began and I felt there was something wrong. I knew from experience that I would need to let things settle down but this felt so different. When I finally had my post op appointment I was told it just needed to settle. Nearly three years on and airing constant concerns to the consultant, I finally was told after having an ultra sound scan I have to have a psoas release. The radiographer also wrote in the report that the cup appears to be overhanging. I’ve just had a ct scan and see my consultant on March 6th and I’m dreading it. I’ve been fobbed off so many times with “Oh it’s probably your back causing the problem” but now he can’t do that. I gather he’s one of a few consultants that can do the psoas lengthening but I’m wondering if I should get a second opinion. I’ve read on this forum of another person having a similar problem with the same consultant :-(

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Carolyn, it’s  been four and one half years of suffering for me from a right hip replacement in upper New York State. They crushed my femoral nerve. Based on what you were told about someone else having a significant role in your surgery, I will tell my attorney about this. I’ve always suspected he let residents play during my surgery since femoral nerve damage is so rare. I also had to have five transfusions. Thanks for your entry. All the best.
    • Posted

Dear Sissyr, I’m so sorry to hear about your ongoing problems and thank you for your reply.
  • Posted

Carolyn,

Sorry to hear about the surgical difficulties and resulting pain.  If you had an anterior surgery, femoral nerve damage is a significant risk although I've never heard it being so with a posterior surgery.  As far as a resident/fellow doing the important steps of your operation I would like to point out: in the USA it is often not uncommon for orthopedic surgeons to be :running two rooms".  That expression means they are beggining a second surgery while closing the first, and often use surgeons they are training to do some of the critical steps involved in the procedure.  One of the surgeons I have consulted with makes specific mention of this practice on his website and explicitly states that he does not do this.  He is the only person who does the surgery from start to finish-of course there is a support team- but it is only him.  It was one of the reasons I chose to consult with him and when I go for a second opinion next month it will be an issue I will discuss with that surgeon as well.  I will make it clear- I only want one surgeon doing the work from start to finish- no "running two rooms" and complete accountability.  I would strongly advise you seek a second opinion from a surgeon who has no professional relationship with the one who did your surgery- not in the same hospital or medical practice.  I would also advise you discuss the issue of who is going to do the work and get confirmation that only the surgeon you choose and trust, based on their skills and experience will be working on you.  It's your body and health and you have every right to insist it is safeguarded and entrusted to only the people you choose.  Best wishes and get well soon.

Jim

• Posted

Dear Jim, thank you for your kind and wise words. I gather here in the UK it’s common for a consultant to only start the surgery. However the consultant is liable if the operation goes wrong. I will know more in the next two weeks when I have the result from my scan. Then I will know what I’m dealing with and I fear it will be a revision. I need to think about getting another surgeon who can do this as well as releasing the psoas. There aren’t many in the UK that can do that particular op :-(

kindest regards and thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.