Hip Replacement - Reaction to Spinal Anesthesia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my hip replaced a few months ago. As far as I can tell everything has been fine and I just finished PT. During recovery, I think I was admitted to a different hospital room. The surgeon visited me in recovery and told me that they "had a hard time reviving me", that I was "un-corporative" and had a "reaction" to the anesthesia. He told me that if I had surgery in the future I should let doctors know this. This was also told to my wife when she called the hospital. At that time, they confirmed that I didn't do anything violent or anything like that, but such things I guess can sometimes happen. They told her know as well, that if I had surgery in the future I should let them know that I had a reaction to the anesthesia

After surgery, I have inquired with the surgeon on what this was. Their office referred me to the anesthesia group. The doctor I spoke to there said their is no mention of any of this in my medical records. They simply have tried to reassure me that I was fine and that there was nothing to worry about.

1. The last thing I remember before the surgery was leaning forward and getting the spinal injection. After that, I remember nothing. Should I have remembered something? I was not under general anesthesia?

2. I had flashes of awareness when I was being "revived" - whatever that means. Being cold. Shaking. There were nurses around me. I remember periods where I was quoting scripture for some reason. I am a Christian, so certainly not ashamed of that. I remember them taking my temperature. It was slightly high. They asked me if I had feeling in my toes at one point. I was going in an out of awareness I think. Sometime after that they moved me to another room. Is this common? Why is none of this in my medical records?

I'm a little concerned that there might be a lack of transparency here, or just a failure to adequately document stuff. I was going to see if I could discern anything from insurance billing codes on the invoices. Is what I described something that could typically happen with spinal anesthesia?

Thanks,

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I would have thought it was nothing to do with the spinal, but whatever they used to sedate you. I had a spinal but did not have any sedation. I did manage to throw up during the op though! It also sounds like they may have messed up on your documentation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.