Hip replacement surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 3 weeks post surgery and I am having cramps in my thigh and knee when sleeping. I have been struggling with lifting my leg as it feels heavy (surgery side) Is this normal?

I am doing some exercises when I can.

Its driving me nuts. I am still using my crutches as I find it hard to weight bear without them on my operated leg.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dear Elljay

I've posted so many times here with a remedy that works for many people who try it and wonder if you are aware of it? Quinine in tablet form or Indian tonic water works.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I get my GP to prescribe quinine sulfate, I think it is brilliant for cramps, my mother swore by it too. A lot of people are very anti quinine nowadays and say take magnesium.
    • Posted

Dear Ptolemy

I take Magnesium to deal with jerking legs!

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

I have heard of people using magnesium for jerking legs, do you find it works?
  • Posted

Hi there. I was on crutches for 8 weeks and no weight bearing. The some times have to cut your hip abdominal and see it back together so the result is a really weak muscle. I am finally able to lift my leg and it had been 4 months. I had a really weak muscles due to the arthritis build up and my leg was dragging and then locked. The only way of getting all the arthritis build up was to fracture my pelvis so I could not bear weight and it hurt if I did. Now with physio a, lots of determination and swimming. It is getting stronger . I can bend if. I can squat and I have no pain. Do your contracting exercises for your glutes and quads and hip abductors but don't push too hard. T

You want to work them so you feel them and keep the plasticity but not to the point of ripping muscle fibers. After all a leg weighs at least 35 pounds mine do.it will get better once the inner healing starts and the pain to the knee will subside. Make sure you don't lock your knee.

• Posted

Thanks Claudia

That's a relief to know. I guess I am trying to run before I can walk .

I shall do the exercises and see where that takes me.

Thanks

• Posted

Dear Elljay

A glass in the evening each day works wonders and the results should be felt on day one.  If tablets then one 300mg every day.   Please let me know how you do.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

Hi Elljay,

i am 10 almost 11 week’s out.  I still have pain while I’m sleeping.  Try turning on your good leg for a while, when you’re sleeping, and back again, lying on your back.  It should give some relief.  Im trying to think back to when I was at 3 weeks.  I think this is normal.  Time will heal.

Regards,

Steven

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.