Hip replacements.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been offered a hip replacement. Just trying to decide if I should take it or not.

I'm 62.

There seems to be lots of pros. Does anyone have any knowledge of any cons?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had one your age 10 years ago. It 's been pretty good. Took a while to get over it but at long as you do the exercises it will be a great relief to be free of pain. If you are in the UK I would take up the offer as it is pretty hard to get a hip replacement these days unless you can pay. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I can't say it didn't hurt after the operation and took me a while to recover but I got pretty much back to normal and to get rid of the constant pain experienced before, I have never regretted it. If you can get a keyhole operation recovery will be much quicker as no muscle is cut through. Best wishes. Linda

• Posted

Hi Jenny

Versus Arthritis have drop in centres where you can recieve one to one specific information on how to manage osteoarthritis of hip and knee up to and after surgery .They might be available in your area and you need to be referred by your GP .I really recommend as they are a wonderful source of evidence based information and cover a lot of areas that you might want to ask questions about to help you with your decision. Good luck

• Posted

It stops the chronic pain that arthritis causes.......thats the biggest and best plus . If you need to think twice about it

you probably dont need it yet.

• Posted

hi there young lady, i was only in my 30s when i had to have my first back operation then in 2000 i had to have a second back operation, then because of the arthritis i have had to have a right hip followed by both knees, which have all been very sucessful then this year i am just 67 i have had to undergo a further left hip replacement all very sucessfully done and now i have the

matching set and back and i am vertually pain free from my hips and my knees.

now i can turn over in bed without pain and walk much better. so dont be afraid.

• Posted

I had one six years ago at the age of 81. The pain relief was immediate. I was home within 72 hours and have never looked back. I have a large garden and still grow my own veg.

I have a friend who had both replaced more than 20 years ago and she has never regretted them.

If you are offered epidural anaesthetic I recommend that, too.

I was amazed to find I could manage stairs immediately. They tested before allowing me home from hospital. Used one crutch for about ten days

Don't know whether it's the same for all hospitals but I didn't have stitches.... glue instead which just dissolved

• Posted

PS It's best if you can have a handrail on both sides of stairs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.