Hip revision after 21years from 1st THR

Posted , 5 users are following.

In 2016 I had my first hip revision done. My first hip lasted 21 years, I was 25 when I had it done. was born with hip dysplasia. Those 21 yrs were certainly the best years, absolutely no issues. When I got my revision done 4 yrs ago I had to have a bone graft as well because of some bone loss I suffered around the cup area. Fast forward 3 years and I had to have another revision because it was found that the bone loss had now spread to my pelvic bone. Another graft was done and the hip itself was still in tact so they didn't touch it. It's been almost 3 months since that revision and now every once in a while my hip would pop. I didn't think anything of it feeling it would go away once I heal up. Well the other night while in bed sleeping I guess I stretched too hard, I heard a loud pop and immediate pain. Not enough to wake me up but enough to notice it. When I got up in the morning and sat I now feel this bulge like I'm sitting on something. I am praying it's not dislocation of any sort. I didn't have the bulge feeling before. So I'm very concerned.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

im very similarr to you, i had tgem first repkaced st 17 they lasted 17 years! had them revised 6 years ago and after 4 years the replacement fractured through my pelvic bone!! big catasrophie! massive surgery! on both my hips if i over stretch in bed as you describe i get a pain and popping like sound but as you say it brings you to but not fully awake! anyway i never have a bulge after but i do have the sensstion. where is the bulge? ella x

• Posted

Hello Ella x,

its nice to share my story with others that know this journey! The popping can be pretty jarring. Sorry to hear your pelvic bone fracture. Did they use bone graft to fix it? And how is your walking? I have the sensation of feeling like I'm sitting on a small ball I feel is right in my butt when I sit. I find myself fixing my clothes thinking I'm sitting on something but nothing is there. I have a appointment with my surgeon next week. praying for a good outcome.

• Edited

i have heard that bursitis can feel like youre stilling on a ball?

i walk fine mostly without any aids, but i can feel a significant difference in my abilities and distance etc since the revisions, like you my primarys were amazing!

let me know how you get on with your surgeon, but i do think if you can weight bear then not much catasrophic can happen? are you uk or us?

• Posted

U.S. thanks again. I never realized revisions would have so many complications. I am a very active person. I love to take long walks, not to mention walking my Labradoodle who has more energy than 3 pups put together! Hopefully I can heal to some normalcy.

• Posted

Hi! You were right, saw my surgeon. My xrays actually looked great. No dislocation of any kind. Guess the mystery is why the popping occurs. My surgeon seems to think everything needs to settle, especially since I got such a huge amount of donor bone implanted. Will return in a few months for check up.

• Edited

so pleased for you babes! im just like you though! since i had to have this reconstruction im so worried that something catastrophic has happened at every pain etc! i think we are just scarred emotionally but everytime we get proven wrong it adds to helping us recover!

hugs xx

• Posted

yes I agree...and anyone who hasn't been thru this can't understand the fear of having this major surgery. it sets back your entire life. the rehab and pain can be alot on a person psychic! thanks for the well wishes. you take care.

• Posted

i should pf asked as well.. can you weight bear on that leg? if so it is most unlikely to be dislocated x

• Posted

Yes I can weight bare on it, but afraid to do it too much since I'm not sure if the bone has healed, concern about that being that I had so much bone loss. My surgeon had to go under the muscle that wraps over the pelvic bone so my incision is up my waist. It's all very numb, like a lip when its had novocain. It's been almost 3 months, still no feel in those muscles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.