Hip trouble - seem to injure it, then heals over course of few weeks, then goes again

Posted , 3 users are following.

Every once in a while my left hip area seems to develop a sudden acute, localised pain. It usually occurs if I've bent down and stood up again, or just getting up from the sofa. It has also happened on two or three occasions when playing squash. I can lunge for a ball but suddenly have this intense localised ache / pain sensation happen which immediately ends any possibility of activity. It's then impossible to walk normally and can only hobble about until it clears up, usually a couple of weeks later. I also can't stand still in one place, I have to sit down and even that can be uncomfortable. That and laying flat on my back make my hip area feel like something is pulling or stretching.

It first happened in my early 30s during a tennis match and I'm now 40. I'd say it now happens every few months or so.

I have previously been to the doctor immediately after an occurrence of this and have had an ultrasound scan which revealed nothing, although it took so long for a scan appointment to come through that I didn't have any pain at the time of the scan.

I'd hesitate to say it's majorly painful but when it happens it's mightily uncomfortable and restricting.

It's happened again today and I know it will heal in a week or two but am concerned at the frequency of occurrence and what it might mean for the future.

Does this sound like a labral tear or could it be something else? Any ideas welcome.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi. i see your post is a few months old and i was wondering if you had found anything more about your pain? I have been diagnosed with a labral tear. My symptom was severe pain (9/10) every morning for months. I had no injury or any reason to explain how it occurred. It lasted 1-2 hours then went for the rest of the day. By the time i saw a consultant 10-11 months later, due to COVID limitations, my pain seemed to resolve itself. I went ahead with a steroid inj anyway and have not been troubled since . That was 4-5 months ago. I do daily yoga to try and delay any recurrence but I am presuming that, as I now have a tear, it will never fully resolve itself without surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.