Hip with Osteoarthritis now neck

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everybody,6 months post op the now I am having problems with my neck,head,ear terrible pains,I had this 18 months ago and got some pain killers and bought a collar,and some Biofreeze,to put on,has.anybody any help,I am now living in Tenerife and want to try and manage the pain myself,other than going private.There must be a way if you have osteoarthritis to manage rather than running to the Docs every 2 mins,love to all Hippies and I am sure you will come up with some great ideas Love Michael.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had terrible shoulder pains, myphysio told me it was a nerve in the spine and told me to go to an osteopath.

Osteopath sorted it out in 1 visit - basically my neck was siezing up - never had my neck felt so mobile as when she had finished with me.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Michael

I have generalized OA. Just had THR.

I also had 2 surgeries on my neck because of OA, Stenosis, and Bulging Discs.

Surgery was my only option at the time.

The pain can really be awful especially between the shoulders. I can only  suggest cold/hot compresses. topical gels and I've heard of many people taking Turmeric who swear by it.

I don't know the dosage but I've heard it can be taken orally and also made into a paste. You might be able to find it on the internet.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Michael, 

try the turtle exercise ... 

Stand straight and tall but with your shoulders down i.e. relaxed. Stand against a wall if it helps.  Squeeze in your lower abdominals a bit and without moving your stance, bring your tummy button backwards towards your spine so your core muscles are engaged.   Now you shoudl be standing as if you have a rod going down you from your head to your toes but keep relaxed expecially in the shoulders. Now the lightly tricky bit.... its called the turtle exercise so imagine a turtle popping its head out of its shell ... Keep your shoulders where they are. Keepign your head at right angles bring your head fowards whilst keeping your shoulders where they are keeping your head at 90 degress - your chin should move in a straight line forwads.  You wont and shouldnt be able to move too much - maybe 3/4 inches. Now agian in a horizontal straight line, move your head backwards without moving your shoulders to give yourself a double chin effect.   Make sure your shoulders dont move and that your head is not moving up and down, just i a horizontal line. Keep your shoudlers down and relaxed You will feel the pull between the top of your shoulder blades and in your neck. Do a few of these every day as it will help yourneck issues and related shoulder issues no end and will gradually put your neck back in the correct position so you are not squeezing discs.  By a long sylinder neck pillow and sleep with this - takea a bit of getting used to but will robably sort out your neck.  When you move your neck forwards, then try not to move your whole head - keep in mind that pole going down your body - so you are pushing out your neck maybe 3 inches.  You will find lots of turtle exercises on internet - i;d ignore most of them as they dont do them right... just do above and you will within 4 weeks see real results... 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi everybody,thanks so much for all your replies,much appreciated Thanks X.
  • Posted

Yes I would recommend intermittent rest and exercise guided to support everything and reducing dose of painkillers so you can tell when your posture is bad as the pain will tell you!  Also research diet to reduce inflammation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.